Thursday 29 September 2011

Last 10 things seen at the theatre: #009

No comment.


List the last 10 things you saw at the theatre in order:
1. Street Scene (Young Vic)
2. Betty Blue Eyes (Novello)
3. The 39 Steps (Criterion)
4. St Matthew Passion (National; Olivier)
5. The Wild Bride (Lyric Hammersmith)
6. Parade (Southwark Playhouse)
7. The Homecoming (Swan Theatre)
8. Decade (Headlong)
9. ... and darkness descended (Punchdrunk)
10. The Kitchen (National; Olivier)

Who was the best performer in number one (Street Scene)?
The orchestra. It's so nice to have a proper full orchestra! It was just a shame that somebody made the decision to not mic any of the singers, so I couldn't even hear them, let alone pick one of them as best. But the orchestra was proper splendid.

Why did you go to see number two (Betty Blue Eyes)?
It was sadly closing before its time. I couldn't let it go by without seeing it one last time. I loved it too dearly for that.

Can you remember a line/lyric from number three (The 39 Steps) that you liked?
Actually, no. Uncharacteristically, I rather prefer the physical comedy in this production.

What would you give number four (St Matthew Passion) out of ten?
A solid 8.

Was there someone hot in number five (The Wild Bride)?
I don't think I can objectively judge. The Devil was in a sharp three-piece suit and he played the ukulele and the banjo. I was too overcome with joy by these things to focus on anything else.

What was number six (Parade) about?
A lovely parade. Or a true-life case of anti-Semitism, scapegoating, and lynching. One of those.

Who was your favourite actor in number seven (The Homecoming)?
Hmmm. Well, Jonathan Slinger! It's not that I'm predictable, it's that he's very very good.

What was your favourite bit in number eight (Decade)?
I really rather enjoyed the choreographed air steward bit that kicked off the second act. It started off very amusing, and steadily got more and more frenetic, and really was rather effective. I liked the Tobias Menzies monologues a lot as well.

Would you see number nine (... and darkness descended) again?
In a heartbeat! If only it went on for longer, and was EVEN SCARIER. I live for fear in theatrical environments. But there is something quite nice and exclusive about being lucky enough to have seen it when it was only running for a short time and for rather small audiences.

What was the worst thing about number ten (The Kitchen)?
I actually really liked it, so I don't have a worst thing about it.

Which was best?
I think Betty Blue Eyes and Parade were both as good as each other, though obviously in very different ways!

Which was worst?
Actually, I enjoyed all of these. Apart from The Homecoming, and that was just because the play was horrible. The production itself was superbly done. And although I wish I'd been able to enjoy Street Scene more, I did love listening to the wonderful music.

Did any make you cry?
YES. Betty Blue Eyes, a LOT, and Parade and Decade, a little bit. I can neither confirm nor deny any reports of welling up during parts of The Kitchen.

Did any make you laugh?
Of course! Betty Blue Eyes, The 39 Steps, The Wild Bride, and Decade.

Which roles would you like to play in any of them?
I would very much like to play Lucille in Parade. I think it would be a lot of fun to be in The 39 Steps or The Wild Bride. I can easily see Betty Blue Eyes becoming popular for amateur groups, so any role in that would be something nice to hope for in the future!

Which one did you have best seats for?
Hmmm... probably The Wild Bride. Oh, but I did like the loner seat in the front row for Parade that didn't have anyone directly next to it on either side.

1 comment:

  1. Of course! Betty Blue Eyes, The 39 Steps, The Wild Bride, and Decade.
    http://blanchirlesdents.org/

    ReplyDelete