Tuesday 10 September 2013

Last 10 things seen at the theatre: #041

26th August to 8th September.


List the last 10 things you saw at the theatre in order:
1. Henry VI: The Houses of York and Lancaster (Shakespeare's Globe)
2. Henry VI: Harry the King (Shakespeare's Globe)
3. Home (National; Shed)
4. Tree (Battersea Arts Centre)
5. [title of show] (Landor)
6. The Same Deep Water As Me (Donmar Warehouse)
7. Sweet Bird of Youth (Old Vic)
8. The Drowned Man: A Hollywood Fable (Punchdrunk)
9. Edward II (National; Olivier)
10. Armstrong's War (Finborough)

Who was the best performer in number one (Henry VI: The Houses of York and Lancaster)?
While I have extreme fondness for Graham Butler as the saddest king in all the world, and while Simon Harrison did turn out to be my secret favourite of the whole trilogy, this particular episode belonged rather firmly to Roger Evans for his jauntily-clad Suffolk and his terrifically engaging Jack Cade (Jack Cade, Jack Cade, Jack Cade. Jack Cade, Jack Cade, Jack Ca-ade!).

Why did you go to see number two (Henry VI: Harry the King)?
Shakespeare. Shakespeare's Globe. Shakespeare's Histories. Unless you want to know why I went to see it for a second time, rather than simply at all? In which case: Shakespeare. Shakespeare's Globe. Shakespeare's Histories.

Can you remember a line/lyric from number three (Home) that you liked?
No. It was absolutely wonderful but I can't remember the words as well as the emotions.

What would you give number four (Tree) out of ten?
I won't, actually. It was a very rough preview of a piece that's not being presented in full until... well, until tomorrow, it turns out. But still! Though I enjoyed it immensely and came away quite emotionally shaken, I will respect the rough preview aspect and avoid marking it out of ten. IT WAS GOOD THOUGH!

Was there someone hot in number five ([title of show])?
Oh yes! Of the four cast members, you could probably in fact claim a 100% hotness rate. Also I've had an extreme soft spot for Simon Bailey since a deeply impressionable 23 year old me went to see Les Miserables for the first time and came away a dedicated Enjolras fan.

What was number six (The Same Deep Water As Me) about?
Ambulance chasing and despair. Maybe the despair wasn't so much in the script but it's what I took away from it.

Who was your favourite actor in number seven (Sweet Bird of Youth)?
Probably Kim Cattrall. It turns out I love her a lot.

What was your favourite bit in number eight (The Drowned Man: A Hollywood Fable)?
OH MAN I HAD THE BEST ONE-TO-ONE! Locked away from the other audience members in a strange little room, my mask removed, Tom Waits's 'Children's Story' (which is either from or inspired by Woyzeck) told to me, then we traced a mysterious line of red wool down into a secret sub-basement illuminated only by a flickering torch, and THEN THERE WAS A DEAD HORSE. Then I got told that the world is inside out and I should take care, then I was shoved through a door and left to carry on alone. This happened within the first twenty minutes, and I swear I could have left there and then and it would have been an evening worth having. I was practically skipping for a significant amount of time afterwards!

Would you see number nine (Edward II) again?
Ever since it was initially announced, the plan was always to book an early performance and a late performance and then maybe another one in the middle depending on how the early one went. I have since booked a middle performance.

What was the worst thing about number ten (Armstrong's War)?
There was a prop. It was mightily abused. It hurt my heart. I also concur that it's absolutely CRIMINAL that such a show should have such a short life. Hurry back!

Which was best?
Must I choose? MUST I?

Which was worst?
Either The Same Deep Water As Me or Sweet Bird of Youth. Neither really lived up to what one might have come to expect from the playwrights, theatres, or casts.

Did any make you cry?
I weep at Histories. It's how I roll. I also wept at Home. And [title of show]. And Edward II.

Did any make you laugh?
There were moments of great humour in all of them, yes. Especially Tree and [title of show].

Which roles would you like to play in any of them?
Well, Margaret, and any Punchdrunk cast member. As ever! Also I think I'd be a rather good Susan if ever a production of [title of show] came my way.

Which one did you have best seats for?
It is impossible to get any closer to any action than I did with my seat for Armstrong's War. Oh, unless you're at The Drowned Man and have a one-to-one, I suppose, though that's not really a seat.

No comments:

Post a Comment