Sunday 8 March 2015

Last 10 things seen at the theatre: #071

21st February to 7th March.


List the last 10 things you saw at the theatre in order:
1. The Hard Problem (National; Dorfman)
2. Boa (Trafalgar Studio 2)
3. Arcadia (Aylesbury Waterside)
4. Dara (National; Olivier)
5. Lippy (Young Vic)
6. Othello (Shakespeare's Globe)
7. Kill Me Now (Park Theatre)
8. Closer (Donmar Warehouse)
9. Farinelli and the King (Sam Wanamaker Playhouse)
10. Man and Superman (National; Lyttelton)

Who was the best performer in number one (The Hard Problem)?
I had pretty much forgotten who was in the cast, and they've started to make it a little harder to acquire a free cast list, and I very rarely buy programmes these days, so when I say it was Anthony Calf, you need to know I'm not coming at this from the usual biased "I love Anthony Calf, he's delightful in everything he does!" angle, for I was genuinely surprised to realise it was Anthony Calf whose performance I had so enjoyed. Gosh it's delightful when actors continue to prove how worthy of our admiration they truly are though.

Why did you go to see number two (Boa)?
Clara Brennan.

Can you remember a line/lyric from number three (Arcadia) that you liked?
I stand firm in my opinion that Arcadia is the finest play of the twentieth century, if not all time. I could sit here and transcribe all the lines I remember liking, but it would probably be a lot quicker for us all if you just buy yourself a copy of the text.

What would you give number four (Dara) out of ten?
8, I believe. I don't need to see it again, but even though it required a LOT of website-stalking to get an affordable ticket, I was glad I made the effort.

Was there someone hot in number five (Lippy)?
I... don't... know. I don't know what I was watching, I don't know what I saw, I don't know what was going on. I only know that there were people in it and it was profoundly fascinating but also physically uncomfortable.

What was number six (Othello) about?
Moustaches and zip-wires.

Who was your favourite actor in number seven (Kill Me Now)?
Okay, so the play was entertaining and the production was an excellent production of the play with very good performances and I've been thinking about it pretty much constantly since I saw it. But the thinks I have thunk are simply too big and involved to allow them to be boiled down to a short answer. So I really can't answer any question about this play unless you want to have a long and involved discussion about it.

What was your favourite bit in number eight (Closer)?
A favourite bit? Nah, didn't have one. Good production, great performances, interesting play, but HORRIBLE characters.

Would you see number nine (Farinelli and the King) again?
Nah. It was jolly good but I'm not in love with the theatre, the play, or the cast enough to make a return trip.

What was the worst thing about number ten (Man and Superman)?
Well, I spent a lot of act four being very distracted by the costumes. One of the dresses was completely stunning, and I was definitely NOT using my opera glasses to try looking down the shirt on one of the men. (I was instead using them to confirm that it was definitely chest hair I could see through said shirt. I never claimed to be a classy lady.) But I loved it, frankly. I've always had a soft spot for the play, I was DELIGHTED that they kept act three in, and everyone who had anything to do with it was superb. Top job, one and all!

Which was best?
Man and Superman, unquestionably.

Which was worst?

Did any make you cry?
I might have teared up at The Hard Problem, I definitely teared up at Boa and Arcadia. I did not tear up at either Othello or Kill Me Now, which came as a distinct surprise to me.

Did any make you laugh?
I expect they all did. Shall we leave it there?

Which roles would you like to play in any of them?
Any role in Arcadia. ANY role. Even Plautus.

Which one did you have best seats for?
Managed a terrific standing space for Othello, didn't really have any seats of note otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment