Monday 27 July 2015

Last 10 things seen at the theatre: #078

5th to 25th July.


List the last 10 things you saw at the theatre in order:
1. A Number (Young Vic)
2. Richard III (Shakespeare's Globe)
3. The Beaux' Stratagem (National; Olivier)
4. Richard II (Shakespeare's Globe)
5. The Trial (Young Vic)
6. Violence and Son (Royal Court)
7. Othello (Royal Shakespeare Theatre)
8. The Merchant of Venice (Royal Shakespeare Theatre)
9. Measure for Measure (Shakespeare's Globe)
10. Henry V (Union)

Who was the best performer in number one (A Number)?
Well, it was either John Shrapnel or Lex Shrapnel. Definitely one of them.

Why did you go to see number two (Richard III)?
I see everything at the Globe. It saves FOMO. I was especially keen to see this one as I had seen it back in 2012 when the costumes and props had been lost in shipping, so it was wonderful to have the opportunity to see it as it was meant to be.

Can you remember a line/lyric from number three (The Beaux' Stratagem) that you liked?
I like that the script repeatedly called for Scrub to request kisses of Archer, I could very happily watch any play for hours as long as it involved Pearce Quigley trying to get kisses off Geoffrey Streatfeild.

What would you give number four (Richard II) out of ten?
I think... 8? It's a very strong production, although in some ways very different from Richards I've seen before, but it feels like the cast know they've got depths yet to plumb and are still exploring their way around it. I mean that in a good way - it's a great production now, but it's going to be BRILLIANT by the end of the run.

Was there someone hot in number five (The Trial)?
Not for me, though probably for other people.

What was number six (Violence and Son) about?
I feel like it's the kind of play that can be about different things depending on who you are as an audience member, or even at what point in the play you're being asked the question. As me, having seen the whole play, I feel like it was - at its most basic level - about the toxicity of rape culture.

Who was your favourite actor in number seven (Othello)?
Well clearly Nadia Albina. She was a major contributing factor for my even going to Stratford in the first place, and she was a fabulously ducal duke indeed.

What was your favourite bit in number eight (The Merchant of Venice)?
I enjoyed the "Bassanio choosing a casket" scene, as Portia's subtle hinting was extremely delightful.

Would you see number nine (Measure for Measure) again?
I'd already booked the return trip before seeing it, sooo... yes. If I hadn't already booked it? It's difficult to say. The main plot was tightly performed with breaktaking misogyny, but the comic subplotting was so overplayed that I just wanted to die a little bit.

What was the worst thing about number ten (Henry V)?
I was thoroughly delighted to see an all-female production performed with charm and pace and skill. I was nonetheless a little disappointed that they achieved some of the pace at the expense of the French. Even if you're okay with losing the superficially-charming-but-actually-quite-icky wooing scene, it is sad to have such a tiny amount of Dauphin sassiness.

Which was best?
I think I liked A Number best, actually. Everything about it was thoroughly marvellous, from the extremely exciting cast, to the extremely perfect set, to the extremely beautiful running time. But I would like to give a shout-out to Violence and Son too, as I think Jason Hughes gave one of the most powerful performances I've seen all year.

Which was worst?
I wouldn't say The Trial was worst, per se, but I did lose the will to live after ninety minutes or so, so I couldn't tell you how it ended.

Did any make you cry?
There was maybe a little tearing up at A Number and Richard II, but it was mostly Measure for Measure.

Did any make you laugh?
A Number might have done, Richard III and Richard II definitely did, I distinctly remember snorting at something Pearce Quigley did in The Beaux' Stratagem, and maybe The Merchant of Venice and Othello a bit too.

Which roles would you like to play in any of them?
Wow that's a lot of Shakespeare. None in the non-Shakespeare, anything in the Shakespeare. Maybe.

Which one did you have best seats for?
I VERY much liked my seat for A Number, as I was sitting in front of Roger Allam so was constantly aware of which lines of dialogue he found amusing, and I was able to see his reflection whenever there was a scene change. I also had a fabulous front row stalls seat for The Beaux' Stratagem, but Roger Allam wasn't there, so it was less exciting.

No comments:

Post a Comment