Monday 5 October 2015

Last 10 things seen at the theatre: #081

12th September to 2nd October.


List the last 10 things you saw at the theatre in order:
1. Our Country's Good (National; Olivier)
2. Future Conditional (Old Vic)
3. Pomona (National; AFKAS)
4. Firebird (Hampstead)
5. Nell Gwynn (Shakespeare's Globe)
6. Three Days in the Country (National; Lyttelton)
7. Tipping the Velvet (Lyric Hammersmith)
8. Mr Foote's Other Leg (Hampstead)
9. Lela & Co (Royal Court)
10. The Red Lion (Shakespeare's Globe)

Who was the best performer in number one (Our Country's Good)?
Oh. Erm. They were simultaneously all terribly good while somehow not being quite as endearing as the cast last time I saw this play. I think I'm going with Ashley McGuire.

Why did you go to see number two (Future Conditional)?
I like going to the Old Vic. As long as I can easily acquire affordable tickets, I will continue to visit.

Can you remember a line/lyric from number three (Pomona) that you liked?
"That's interesting, I actually have a similar plan".

What would you give number four (Firebird) out of ten?
Oh. Wow. No. There's an important play to be produced on the subject, but this is not it. Maybe a 4, for the performances, that alas could not elevate the play itself?

Was there someone hot in number five (Nell Gwynn)?
I'm not saying there weren't some good-looking fellas in the cast, I'm just saying that Gugu Mbatha-Raw is quite possibly one of the most stunningly beautiful women on the face of the planet.

What was number six (Three Days in the Country) about?
Same thing every Russian play seems to be about. There's a country estate, there's a doctor, someone goes to Moscow, everyone's in love with the wrong people, no one's happy, and somehow it's devastating in spite of its familiarity and the healthy heaping of humour.

Who was your favourite actor in number seven (Tipping the Velvet)?
Obviously huge praise to Sally Messham for her excellent professional debut, but I would not be me if I didn't semi-guiltily confess to favouring Andy Rush.

What was your favourite bit in number eight (Mr Foote's Other Leg)?
The lovely little scene in act two that just heaped three terrific actors on a bed and let them quietly break our hearts.

Would you see number nine (Lela & Co) again?
No, but I'd certainly recommend it to anyone who was asking. Bit too intense for a repeat trip, no matter how much free candy floss they're giving away at the end. (Though not so intense that I could join my fellow audience members in crying melodramatically that they could "never eat candy floss again!". Yeah, I saw the play too, but FREE SWEETS, guys!)

What was the worst thing about number ten (The Red Lion)?
When the ending came, it came with a certain crushing inevitability and inescapability that made it quite difficult to watch. It was very good, I just found it difficult to watch.

Which was best?
Definitely Nell Gwynn but also I have been unable to stop thinking about Lela & Co since I saw it.

Which was worst?
I didn't really like Firebird at all. If I hadn't just seen Lela & Co, which covered many similar themes but SO MUCH BETTER then perhaps I wouldn't have been so down on it, but aside from the committed performances from the cast, it didn't really have a lot going for it.

Did any make you cry?
I will admit to shedding a tear at Future Conditional, even though I knew it was because of manipulation rather than any genuine emotion, and Lela & Co got me too for much more authentic reasons.

Did any make you laugh?
Mostly Nell Gwynn and Tipping the Velvet, I reckon.

Which roles would you like to play in any of them?
It's a shame we were one of maybe five schools in the country that never studied Our Country's Good, I'd like to have had a go at Liz Morden.

Which one did you have best seats for?
I had a fabulous seat for Our Country's Good, a terrific standing spot for Nell Gwynn, and somehow managed to get front row centre for Lela & Co despite the concerted queue-jumping that was going on at the Royal Court that evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment