Sunday 14 February 2016

Last 10 things seen at the theatre: #088

16th January to 13th February.


List the last 10 things you saw at the theatre in order:
1. As You Like It (National; Olivier)
2. YEN (Royal Court)
3. The Master Builder (Old Vic)
4. Road Show (Union)
5. Herons (Lyric Hammersmith)
6. Jane Wenham: The Witch of Walkern (Arcola)
7. The Homecoming (Trafalgar Studios)
8. Cymbeline (Sam Wanamaker Playhouse)
9. Macbeth (Young Vic)
10. wonder.land (National; Olivier)

Who was the best performer in number one (As You Like It)?
As with basically everything I've seen her in, I am Team Patsy Ferran. I would like to see her work with a broader array of directors though. (And I still wish they'd cast younger and given her Rosalind but hey.)

Why did you go to see number two (YEN)?
The synopsis sounded intriguing, the word of mouth was good, and although it initially sold out very quickly, a ticket came on sale for an afternoon where I had nothing else booked so I went for it.

Can you remember a line/lyric from number three (The Master Builder) that you liked?
"Decent's hard to legislate for, but I'm not sure everyone will feel you're on the right side of the line."

What would you give number four (Road Show) out of ten?
Hmmm. Production 8, but show maybe 6, so I guess... 7?

Was there someone hot in number five (Herons)?
None of the individuals were quite as attractive to me as the overall brilliant inclusivity of the casting as a whole.

What was number six (Jane Wenham: The Witch of Walkern) about?
The persecution of non-demure women, made all the more distressing by its historical setting.

Who was your favourite actor in number seven (The Homecoming)?
Hmmm. Well, Gemma Chan. I think I'm more or less done with Pinter though.

What was your favourite bit in number eight (Cymbeline)?
I was all set to come in full of praise for the mad Jupiter dream sequence, in predictable Janny style, but although it was pleasingly bonkers, I've actually come away far fonder of the reunion between Posthumus and Innogen. Posthumus is more than a little bit flaky, but I will admit to a serious welling up of tears at "Hang there like a fruit, my soul, till the tree die".

Would you see number nine (Macbeth) again?
Well, this was already my third trip, so between this and the three trips to Sleep No More - not to mention the random references cropping up in Hamilton - I'm a bit Macbethed out right now. So... no. No thank you. I don't think I want to go anywhere near Shakespeare's Scotland until at least September.

What was the worst thing about number ten (wonder.land)?
There was a puppet that was supposed to be an adorable and much loved baby but looked more like a black-eyed child of urban legend than anything else. It didn't help that it started vomiting chicken soup and glitter.

Which was best?
In the latest confusing episode of "I don't know if I like Simon Stephens or no", Herons.

Which was worst?
wonder.land wasn't great, though the word of mouth had it down as being infinitely worse than it actually was.

Did any make you cry?
Not especially.

Did any make you laugh?
Not noticeably, which is unusual.

Which roles would you like to play in any of them?
I know I've played Celia, but I loved her so much that I'd kill to play her again. Rosalind would be an acceptable alternative though, I suppose.

Which one did you have best seats for?
wonder.land and Herons, the latter of which was not only front row centre but also FIRMLY in the splash zone. More plays should have splash zones. (Though I'm pleased wonder.land didn't have a splash zone.)

No comments:

Post a Comment