Monday 9 April 2018

Last 10 things seen at the theatre: #121

10th to 31st March.


List the last 10 things you saw at the theatre in order:
1. The Inheritance Part 2 (Young Vic)
2. The Inheritance Part 1 (Young Vic)
3. Caroline, or Change (Hampstead)
4. Acceptance (Hampstead)
5. Black Men Walking (Royal Court Upstairs)
6. My Mother Said I Never Should (Hughenden Village Hall)
7. The Great Wave (Royal Court)
8. Summer and Smoke (Almeida)
9. Broken Glass (Watford Palace)
10. The York Realist (Donmar)

Who was the best performer in number one (The Inheritance Part 2)?
Both Andrew Burnap and Paul Hilton turned in superb performances, but the winner for me - especially as I feel less able to pinpoint his best acting to the first of the two parts - is Kyle Soller, hands down.

Why did you go to see number two (The Inheritance Part 1)?
I'd offer to give a prize to whoever can correctly guess how much I paid for my ticket to The Inheritance Part 1, but as you and I both know it was £10, I'm not going to bother. I'll keep going to the Young Vic as long as they keep letting me through the doors for a tenner.

Can you remember a line/lyric from number three (Caroline, or Change) that you liked?
I first saw this show in 2006. As was my wont in those days, upon seeing it and liking it, I bought the original Broadway cast recording and, as I am who I am, I proceeded to listen to it over and over and over again, almost certainly to the point of madness. So yes, I can absolutely 100% remember every single lyric I liked in this show, but I cannot possibly give an answer to this question, as it is basically THE ENTIRE LIBRETTO. It's a really good show, lads.

What would you give number four (Acceptance) out of ten?
7? It was absolutely fine but didn't do anything new, and it would be nice if a) plays didn't feel the need to stick in a surprise twist ending, and/or b) surprise twist endings actually came as a surprise for once.

Was there someone hot in number five (Black Men Walking)?
Not for me.

What was number six (My Mother Said I Never Should) about?
Four generations of women in a single family. Lots of mummy issues. "Mummy issues" feels weird to type, probably because THE PATRIARCHY means we're SO much more likely to talk about daddy issues.

Who was your favourite actor in number seven (The Great Wave)?
Kirsty Rider, for sure.

What was your favourite bit in number eight (Summer and Smoke)?
Aside from, like, the entire play, I particularly loved the final scene. I don't know that Tennessee Williams intended it to be upbeat, but the palpable sense of freedom that Alma has finally - albeit painfully - won just really... just really hit me.

Would you see number nine (Broken Glass) again?
I don't know that I'd be in a hurry to.

What was the worst thing about number ten (The York Realist)?
I've been trying to come up with an answer for this, but honestly I've been sitting on this blog entry for over a week now, so I just don't think it's going to happen. Sorry. Sometimes the play that this question applies to ends up being a reasonably flawless play.

Which was best?
Well thank god Summer and Smoke was among this batch, otherwise I'd be VERY hard-pressed to choose between at least four of these.

Which was worst?

Did any make you cry?
The Inheritance Part 1, The Great Wave, and Summer and Smoke.

Did any make you laugh?
Both parts of The Inheritance were wickedly funny in places, but it's not an overtly comedic batch.

Which roles would you like to play in any of them?
I've long enjoyed My Mother Said I Never Should and could happily play Rosie or Jackie. I like the idea of playing Alma in Summer and Smoke but I fear it would hurt.

Which one did you have best seats for?
Caroline, or Change.

No comments:

Post a Comment