Sunday 13 January 2019

Last 10 things seen at the theatre: #133

19th December to 11th January.


List the last 10 things you saw at the theatre in order:
1. Keep (Battersea Arts Centre)
2. Hole (Royal Court Upstairs)
3. Sweat (Donmar Warehouse)
4. Macbeth (Barbican)
5. The Cane (Royal Court Downstairs)
6. Company (Gielgud)
7. The Merry Wives of Windsor (Barbican)
8. Hadestown (National; Olivier)
9. The Tell-Tale Heart (National; Dorfman)
10. Drip (Bush Theatre)

Who was the best performer in number one (Keep)?
Probably Daniel Kitson, I guess.

Why did you go to see number two (Hole)?
I got an email offer for reduced price tickets. So even though I am unfond of the venue and actively wary of the directors, it turns out cheap tickets is way stronger a selling point for me.

Can you remember a line/lyric from number three (Sweat) that you liked?
Nope. Great play, but I don't remember any of the details.

What would you give number four (Macbeth) out of ten?
8, because you know what, I didn't hate it. And when you consider how I feel about Macbeth generally, Polly Findlay half the time, and the RSC more and more these days, that's a damn impressive achievement.

Was there someone hot in number five (The Cane)?
Not really.

What was number six (Company) about?
A commitmentphobic 35 year old single woman with no real personality who won't let having red hair stand in the way of her wearing a red dress. Which reminds me, I still haven't had my royalties from Marianne Elliott...

Who was your favourite actor in number seven (The Merry Wives of Windsor)?
I was thinking about leaving at the interval, but there hadn't been enough Karen Fishwick for my liking so I decided to stick it out until the end.

What was your favourite bit in number eight (Hadestown)?
I thought 'Wait For Me' was beautifully staged, so much so that I almost didn't mind the casting of Orpheus. Almost.

Would you see number nine (The Tell-Tale Heart) again?
I was giving it some serious consideration but I think I'll probably be alright if I don't.

What was the worst thing about number ten (Drip)?
I love Drip, it was one of my top 15 of 2017 and I will not hear a word against it. I guess maybe there's always opportunity for growth, but you'd have to be a serious puppy-kicker to couch any ideas you might have as "the worst thing about this show".

Which was best?
Although I'm not in the "WELL IT'S ONLY JANUARY AND I'VE JUST SEEN THE BEST SHOW OF 2019" camp when it comes to Sweat, I did think it was very good. Also Company and Hadestown, which you may have been able to guess from my top 15 of 2018.

Which was worst?
The Merry Wives of Windsor was pretty painful to watch. I also don't think Hole had a general point besides "HEY, look, FEMALE RAGE" which, y'know, I see every time I look in a mirror, I need a li'l more out of a piece of theatre than this rough draft.

Did any make you cry?
Hadestown made me quite emosh. Anyone who thinks "Orpheus and Eurydice are really underwritten" has grossly misunderstood which the characters the love story at the heart of the piece is about.

Did any make you laugh?
Company and Drip did. The Merry Wives of Windsor DID NOT.

Which roles would you like to play in any of them?
Although I don't really have the physique to be convincing when it comes to her one defining character trait, I would still love to have a crack at Eurydice (although obviously I have strong opinions about who should be my Orpheus and it ain't the current cast). I would honestly play any character in Company even though Amy is my classic favourite and Bobbie is my current favourite. I'm pretty flexible on Shakespeare as I do belong to two Shakespeare-centric amdram groups, but I just really don't fancy either of these two.

Which one did you have best seats for?
I somehow got away with paying £15 for The Tell-Tale Heart although the seat in question is now £34, which I guess explains why I could actually see what was going on. Front-row centre was had for Hole, Macbeth, The Merry Wives of Windsor, and Drip. I also had a really great cheap seat for Company.

No comments:

Post a Comment