Sunday 4 September 2011

Last 10 things seen at the theatre: #008

No comment.


List the last 10 things you saw at the theatre in order:
1. The Faith Machine (Royal Court)
2. Potted Potter (Garrick)
3. Much Ado About Nothing (Shakespeare's Globe)
4. The God of Soho (Shakespeare's Globe)
5. As You Like It (Shakespeare's Globe)
6. As You Like It (Shakespeare's Globe)
7. The Beauty Queen of Leenane (Young Vic)
8. All's Well That Ends Well (Shakespeare's Globe)
9. Anne Boleyn (Shakespeare's Globe)
10. Much Ado About Nothing (Wyndham's)

Who was the best performer in number one (The Faith Machine)?
Probably Kyle Soller. He's superb. But his character also seemed to be written to give him the most to work with. I also enjoyed Ian McDiarmid's combined command of scenery chewing and vulnerability.

Why did you go to see number two (Potted Potter)?
I was made an offer I couldn't refuse. I've also been a confirmed Potterphile since last century and have greatly enjoyed Dan and Jeff's hilarious take on the saga before now.

Can you remember a line/lyric from number three (Much Ado About Nothing) that you liked?
I've had this play for this question before. It's still "I will live in thy eyes, die in thy lap, and be buried in thy eyes; and moreover, I will go with thee to thy uncle's". Heartfelt, romantic, dirty, and funny.

What would you give number four (The God of Soho) out of ten?
2. Maybe 1. It just wasn't good. At all.

Was there someone hot in number five (As You Like It)?
There were a lot of lovely people in this production.

What was number six (As You Like It) about?
Crossdressing for fun and profit. With added ukulele.

Who was your favourite actor in number seven (The Beauty Queen of Leenane)?
Frank Laverty, I think. He did a superb job, and he managed to cope with a Young Vic audience in full flow (the quality of a Young Vic audience is usually as terrible as the quality of a Young Vic production is usually terrific).

What was your favourite bit in number eight (All's Well That Ends Well)?
I enjoyed the Countess slapping Helena and Bertram in the opening scene. I was genuinely disappointed when neither of them earned further slaps in the last scene, it would have been well-deserved and a nice call-back moment.

Would you see number nine (Anne Boleyn) again?
Definitely. I'd be interested in the forthcoming touring production. Although after the last two summers, I don't know if I'm ready for a whole new cast.

What was the worst thing about number ten (Much Ado About Nothing)?
It was quite a shallow production. I get it, it's a popular comedy starring a couple of performers with solid funny credentials, and it's a West End production for summer, so of course it's going to be very funny. But it ended up being funny at the expense of being satisfying. I could hardly hear any of the dialogue in Beatrice's gulling scene, and the end of 4.1 broke my heart by being ALL WRONG. If you're playing that bit for laughs, you're DOING IT WRONG DAMNIT.

Which was best?
That would be the Shakespeare's Globe production of Much Ado About Nothing. And not just because I got to share a semi-awkward weeping-and-hugging moment with the inestimable Eve Best (with whom I am now desperately in love for she is a PERFECT Beatrice).

Which was worst?
The God of Soho. WOW it was bad.

Did any make you cry?
Yeahhh. I wept a LOT in the Globe Much Ado.

Did any make you laugh?
OH YES. The Faith Machine, Potted Potter, both Much Ados, As You Like It, and Anne Boleyn. I seem to be into laughing at the moment.

Which roles would you like to play in any of them?
BEATRICE. Well, any female role in Much Ado, with the possible exception of Ursula (whom I have already played). I would also be very interested in Rosalind or Celia or any role in As You Like It. Actually, I've always thought I'd make a splendid Benedick.

Which one did you have best seats for?
Not a seat, but I had the BEST SPOT for the Globe Much Ado.

No comments:

Post a Comment