Thursday 12 January 2012

Last 10 things seen at the theatre: #013

14th December to 11th January.


List the last 10 things you saw at the theatre in order:
1. The Comedy of Errors (National; Olivier)
2. The Heart of Robin Hood (Royal Shakespeare Theatre)
3. Slava's Snowshow (Royal Festival Hall)
4. The Animals and Children Took to the Streets (National; Cottesloe)
5. Pippin (Menier Chocolate Factory)
6. Richard II (Donmar Warehouse)
7. Noises Off (Old Vic)
8. Haunted Child (Royal Court)
9. Collaborators (National; Cottesloe)
10. Juno and the Paycock (National; Lyttelton)

Who was the best performer in number one (The Comedy of Errors)?
Generally speaking, I am all about Michelle Terry, but I will award bonus points to Amit Shah for being the best Angelo I've ever seen.

Why did you go to see number two (The Heart of Robin Hood)?
My dad and I enjoyed it so much last time that when I was having difficulties thinking of a Christmas present for my niece, we figured a trip to see this would be a great idea.

Can you remember a line/lyric from number three (Slava's Snowshow) that you liked?
I very purposefully align all my theatre trips so that whenever I see something with no dialogue, it is the trip that this question will apply to.

What would you give number four (The Animals and Children Took to the Streets) out of ten?
8! I'm not quite sure why such heavy projection is so prevalent in shows at the moment, but this show did it flipping well. It was like all the darkly surreal picture books you've ever read all rolled into one.

Was there someone hot in number five (Pippin)?
I was pretty in love with the entire cast by the time it finished. Carly Bawden is ridiculously beautiful in everything (I bet she's a nice person too!), and I would be very interested in seeing Harry Hepple's tattoo close-up.

What was number six (Richard II) about?
The deposition of a king, and the beginning of a new way of life for England. Bye, medieval!

Who was your favourite actor in number seven (Noises Off)?
Oh, it has to be Jonathan Coy. I've had a soft spot for him since Hornblower, and it was early moments in his performance that managed to win me over from farce-sceptic to just-go-with-it-and-have-fun.

What was your favourite bit in number eight (Haunted Child)?
I liked hanging out with fellow theatre nerds in the bar afterwards. And that's not just the time-honoured "I was glad when it was finished!" criticism, I genuinely found that talking to other people during the interval and immediately after helped soften my view to the point where I appreciated certain aspects a lot more than I would have had I been on my own. Also, I was glad when it was finished!

Would you see number nine (Collaborators) again?
Definitely! I don't think it's going to be a modern classic that I'll reminisce fondly about in the years to come, but I'm definitely up for seeing it again. Maybe when it transfers to the Olivier!

What was the worst thing about number ten (Juno and the Paycock)?
I didn't have any real issues with the play or the production itself, apart from it being so incredibly overlong. When the curtain went down for YET ANOTHER scene change, I just couldn't stop myself from letting out an audible groan.

Which was best?
I loved The Heart of Robin Hood just as much as last time, The Animals and Children Took to the Streets was pretty awesome, Richard II largely lived up to expectations, and Noises Off was a delicious deconstruction and reconstruction of a genre about which I am usually largely sceptical.

Which was worst?
Haunted Child. While I did eventually see what the playwright was trying to do, it was nonetheless not a good play.

Did any make you cry?
I'm peculiarly emotional at the moment so although I don't remember specifics, it's safe enough to assume I welled up at most of them.

Did any make you laugh?
Most unexpectedly, Slava's Snowshow (clowns!) and Noises Off (farce!) did.

Which roles would you like to play in any of them?
I wouldn't say no to Adriana or Luciana in The Comedy of Errors, and I would be very keen to get involved with a production of Richard II in ANY capacity. And, of course, I'd still greatly enjoy Alice in The Heart of Robin Hood.

Which one did you have best seats for?
Haunted Child, and Juno and the Paycock. Maybe I'll have better seats for the shows I love more next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment