Thursday 29 November 2012

Last 10 things seen at the theatre: #028

2nd to 24th November.


List the last 10 things you saw at the theatre in order:
1. The Seagull (Southwark Playhouse)
2. NSFW (Royal Court)
3. The Effect (National; Cottesloe)
4. Red Velvet (Tricycle)
5. Ignorance/Jahiliyyah (Hampstead Theatre)
6. Our Boys (Duchess)
7. All That Fall (Arts Theatre)
8. Chariots of Fire (Gielgud)
9. The River (Royal Court)
10. You Can Still Make a Killing (Chichester Festival Theatre)

Who was the best performer in number one (The Seagull)?
They were all very good, but I think Anthony Howell wins this one.

Why did you go to see number two (NSFW)?
The little information out there at the time of booking made it sound interesting, and I'm always up for a spot of Lucy Kirkwood.

Can you remember a line/lyric from number three (The Effect) that you liked?
Yes! Heavens to betsy, finally a play with many memorable and quotable lines that is not Shakespeare! Let's go with this little nugget: "The history of medicine is mostly just the history of placebo, since we know now almost none of it worked". Thank you, Lucy Prebble!

What would you give number four (Red Velvet) out of ten?
8. I did find it at times a little too knowing, and there were some loose plot threads stranded in the middle that went nowhere, but it was an excellent production of a very good play. Also, Ferdinand Kingsley.

Was there someone hot in number five (Ignorance/Jahiliyyah)?
Not for me.

What was number six (Our Boys) about?
A great big steaming kick in the face comprised of pure nostalgia, gut-wrenching performances, and a corking soundtrack.

Who was your favourite actor in number seven (All That Fall)?
Eileen Atkins. She is my favourite dame.

What was your favourite bit in number eight (Chariots of Fire)?
The musical interlude that opened the second act. For the first half, Joe Bannister was simply one splendid member of a splendid ensemble. Then he got his hands on a pair of cymbals, and instantly - with an intense look of concentration and extreme percussive joy - became everyone's favourite.

Would you see number nine (The River) again?
Please know that I am laughing derisively at my monitor. It was difficult enough to get tickets the first time, let alone trying for a return visit! I would like to have seen it again though, I enjoyed it very much. And my GOODNESS I strongly recommend cooking trout, stuffed with dill, on a bed of leek and fennel, with rock salt and lemon juice sprinkled all over. It's amazing!

What was the worst thing about number ten (You Can Still Make a Killing)?
I need to rejig my schedule so this question stops being about superb plays with few flaws.

Which was best?
Ooh! I think either You Can Still Make a Killing, or The Effect.

Which was worst?
Ignorance/Jahiliyyah was something of a letdown. There was a little too much obscurity and evasiveness, and not enough point.

Did any make you cry?
Chariots of Fire will always raise a sob.

Did any make you laugh?
I suspect they all did, in places. Also, The River made me buy trout and leek and fennel, and cook it, and eat it for my dinner. And it was delicious.

Which roles would you like to play in any of them?
Ellen Tree in Red Velvet! It's more feasible than actually getting to play Desdemona. And I wouldn't mind playing the Woman in The River, though that's more about getting to eat amazing trout every night than anything else.

Which one did you have best seats for?
Red Velvet. Even though queuing for seats at the Tricycle is an exercise in nerve that I'm still not sure I'm able to stand very well.

No comments:

Post a Comment