Saturday 5 January 2013

Last 10 things seen at the theatre: #030

21st to 31st December.


List the last 10 things you saw at the theatre in order:
1. Privates on Parade (Noel Coward)
2. Uncle Vanya (Vaudeville)
3. Constellations (Duke of York's)
4. A Chorus of Disapproval (Harold Pinter)
5. Feathers in the Snow (Southwark Playhouse)
6. Loserville (Garrick)
7. My Fair Lady (Sheffield Crucible)
8. The Magistrate (National; Olivier)
9. The Animals and Children Took to the Streets (National; Lyttelton)
10. Hansel and Gretel (National; Cottesloe)

Who was the best performer in number one (Privates on Parade)?
Well the consensus has a point when they exclaim over the wondrousness of Simon Russell Beale, but I actually had rather a soft spot for Angus Wright's amazing ability to take everything seriously with such ridiculous dialogue and such ridiculous shorts.

Why did you go to see number two (Uncle Vanya)?
I like Uncle Vanya. I couldn't resist an opportunity to see a third one this year, especially not at £10 for a front row seat!

Can you remember a line/lyric from number three (Constellations) that you liked?
I don't remember the specific line, but the dialogue chunk I liked best was when Marianne was talking about her work and Roland clearly didn't understand what she was talking about, but declared that she was very sexy. Because it's TRUE. People talking with passion about something they love deeply and know a lot about is VERY sexy!

What would you give number four (A Chorus of Disapproval) out of ten?
Hmmm... 6. It was entertaining enough, but considering it was somewhat about what lies beneath the surface, it was pretty superficial in the end.

Was there someone hot in number five (Feathers in the Snow)?
Is it possible not to be attracted to Craig Vye's arms? I don't think so.

What was number six (Loserville) about?
Wearing brightly coloured clothes, singing showtunes, and spending too much time messing about on computers. I think it might actually have been about the inside of my head.

Who was your favourite actor in number seven (My Fair Lady)?
Ooh, while Carly Bawden was utterly transcendent, I actually had a strong bias towards the magnificent ensemble. Every last member was superb, and I loved them all dearly.

What was your favourite bit in number eight (The Magistrate)?
Probably the bit where Nicholas Burns failed to throw a hat through a window, and the divine Nancy Carroll had a bit of a corpse. The play wasn't the best, but the cast were ace!

Would you see number nine (The Animals and Children Took to the Streets) again?
Well this was my second time through, so yes, I expect I would go yet again.

What was the worst thing about number ten (Hansel and Gretel)?
It was a little slow to get going, but considering how exceedingly excellent it was once it picked up speed, I wouldn't say there was a worst thing about it at all. I'd've liked a couple of throwbacks at the very end, but that would have involved some horrific costume changes, so we can put that aside as my problem and not the production's.

Which was best?
Privates on Parade, Constellations, and My Fair Lady.

Which was worst?
A Chorus of Disapproval. Someone really needs to do something about the endless Ayckbourn revivals, please.

Did any make you cry?
Is it possible to get through Constellations without a bit of a weep?

Did any make you laugh?
Is it possible to get through Privates on Parade, Constellations, Feathers in the Snow, My Fair Lady, The Animals and Children Took to the Streets, and Hansel and Gretel without a bit of a giggle?

Which roles would you like to play in any of them?
Sonya. I have SO MANY SONYA FEELINGS. And it would be fun to be in Feathers in the Snow and The Animals and Children Took to the Streets, though I have no specific role preference.

Which one did you have best seats for?
My Fair Lady. There are some excellent seats to be had in Sheffield, it turns out!

7 comments:

  1. i'm waiting for your end of year round-up.......

    ReplyDelete
  2. Still waiting dear.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Procrastination is the thief of time, my little weezel.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh for christ sake, you did this last year too- yes, your end of year round up. Hurry up, I WANT READ IT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stop watching big fat quiz. Get on with it. If I bug you enough, will I sqweez (get it?) it out f you??? I sure hope so my little weezle.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stop dyeing your hair red. Stop your amdram Shakespeare. I want it NOW NOW NOW.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Patience is a virtue, pickle.

    ReplyDelete