Friday 26 April 2013

Last 10 things seen at the theatre: #034

29th March to 23rd April.


List the last 10 things you saw at the theatre in order:
1. The Tempest (Shakespeare's Globe)
2. Proof (Menier Chocolate Factory)
3. The Low Road (Royal Court)
4. Jumpers for Goalposts (Watford Palace)
5. Narrative (Royal Court)
6. Before the Party (Almeida)
7. Longing (Hampstead)
8. The Winslow Boy (Old Vic)
9. Romeo and Juliet (Shakespeare's Globe)
10. Peter and Alice (Noël Coward)

Who was the best performer in number one (The Tempest)?
It turns out that Roger Allam is actually SO GOOD at what he does that he can summon a helicopter using nothing more than the sheer power of his acting, and make it seem as though that helicopter has been an integral part of the play for the last 400 years. His Prospero is quite simply the best piece of acting I've seen maybe EVER. I'd also like to shout out to Joshua James - having charmed and impressed in Love and Information and No Quarter at the Royal Court, he has now managed to make Ferdinand both memorable and likeable, no easy feat!

Why did you go to see number two (Proof)?
An especially charming young lady of my acquaintance asked if I would be interested in going, and I simply couldn't find it in me to refuse. Also, a play about maths?! Yes please!

Can you remember a line/lyric from number three (The Low Road) that you liked?
No. I'd just as soon forget the entire play, if you don't mind.

What would you give number four (Jumpers for Goalposts) out of ten?
I'm giving it an 8. I'm pretty free with my 8s, but the number four plays are usually just too wonderful. It touched me very deeply.

Was there someone hot in number five (Narrative)?
I may or may not have had an inappropriate thought or several about a certain Oliver Rix.

What was number six (Before the Party) about?
The Glorious War of Sisterly Rivalry, as TVTropes.org might put it. Among other things.

Who was your favourite actor in number seven (Longing)?
Come for the Iain Glen, stay for the Tamsin Greig. A dame in the making, you mark my words.

What was your favourite bit in number eight (The Winslow Boy)?
Oh gosh, any and every bit that focused on the simply exquisitely marvellous Catherine Winslow. I haven't fallen so hard for a fictional character since The West Wing.

Would you see number nine (Romeo and Juliet) again?
If it was still going on, I surely would!

What was the worst thing about number ten (Peter and Alice)?
It was a bit story-light, in some ways, but I'm on the side of the fence that actually found it a beautiful and moving experience so might not be the best person to ask.

Which was best?
Jumpers for Goalposts, easily. Proof, Before the Party, and The Winslow Boy are all worthy of mention too.

Which was worst?
The Low Road. Let's not talk about The Low Road. Let's not talk about the WHINING and the EXCESSIVE LENGTH and ESPECIALLY let's not talk about the BEES.

Did any make you cry?
The Tempest didn't make me cry so much as Prospero made me cry. I'm still a bit soggy behind the eyes now. Jumpers for Goalposts did also.

Did any make you laugh?
The Tempest did, and Jumpers for Goalposts did, and Narrative did, and maybe some of the others did too but not as much as these three.

Which roles would you like to play in any of them?
Despite the Shakespeare addiction, I've never had any particular desire to be a part of The Tempest, but I kind of do now. I'd leap at the chance to play Juliet (or Mercutio or Romeo). I thought Catherine in Proof was a brilliant role too, but the single best role of any play on this whole list is without question Catherine Winslow. I love her SO MUCH.

Which one did you have best seats for?
Front row centre keeps happening. I really don't get why people think theatre is so expensive when I'm constantly in front row centre on my meagre budget. Jumpers for Goalposts and Longing this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment