Monday 19 August 2013

Last 10 things seen at the theatre: #039

28th June to 9th August.


List the last 10 things you saw at the theatre in order:
1. The Tempest (Shakespeare's Globe)
2. Billy Budd (Southwark Playhouse)
3. The Amen Corner (National; Olivier)
4. Private Lives (Gielgud)
5. A Season in the Congo (Young Vic)
6. Sea Wall (National; Shed)
7. The Hush (National; Shed)
8. The Tempest (Shakespeare's Globe)
9. A Mad World My Masters (Swan Theatre)
10. Titus Andronicus (Swan Theatre)

Who was the best performer in number one (The Tempest)?
Oh. Well, if you're a new reader, you may or may not be surprised to hear that Roger Allam and Joshua James are brilliant. If you've been here before, you definitely won't be surprised, so I'll add James Garnon into the mix for variety and also because he is supremely excellent, albeit immensely terrifying.

Why did you go to see number two (Billy Budd)?
I like the Southwark Playhouse. I like ships. Nothing more profound than that really.

Can you remember a line/lyric from number three (The Amen Corner) that you liked?
Yes! Sort of. It went something along the lines of "God also gave me eyes, but I still had to go to school to learn how to read".

What would you give number four (Private Lives) out of ten?
Will it be another 8? No, let's splash out! Let's have a 9!

Was there someone hot in number five (A Season in the Congo)?
Everyone fancies Chiwetel Ejiofor and Daniel Kaluuya, right?

What was number six (Sea Wall) about?
The worst thing you could ever say to someone without ever actually saying it.

Who was your favourite actor in number seven (The Hush)?
I found the whole thing rather too shallow and tedious to bother answering this question properly. Good idea, thinly executed.

What was your favourite bit in number eight (The Tempest)?
Was this the Indian Tempest? I liked the wedding, it was glorious and beautiful and vigorous and wonderful.

Would you see number nine (A Mad World My Masters) again?
Probably not, though I'm forever sad I didn't make the effort to see the understudy performance.

What was the worst thing about number ten (Titus Andronicus)?
The fact I'm not going to be able to see it again. I'm very fond of this production and this ensemble, it turns out.

Which was best?
Well, The Tempest and Sea Wall and Titus Andronicus, for me.

Which was worst?
Well, The Hush. For everyone.

Did any make you cry?
I have a weeping problem with The Tempest. I also had a weeping problem with Billy Budd, but curiously not Sea Wall.

Did any make you laugh?
The Tempest. It made me laugh with horrified glee. Hang on, let's rephrase: The Tempest. James Garnon made me laugh with horrified glee. I don't remember laughing at Joshua James so much as punctuating most of his lines with a delighted "heeeee!". I'm sure I also laughed at Private Lives, A Mad World My Masters, and Titus Andronicus, though nowhere near as much.

Which roles would you like to play in any of them?
I've very much come around to The Tempest this year. Island spirits for the win. A Mad World My Masters is curiously excellent for female parts (alas, using any term about this play just sounds like a terrible euphemism!), and I'd happily have a go at anyone in Titus Andronicus.

Which one did you have best seats for?
Front row centre for Billy Budd? But of course! Terrible seats were had for all the others that involved sitting.

No comments:

Post a Comment