Sunday 24 November 2013

Last 10 things seen at the theatre: #045

3rd to 23rd November.


List the last 10 things you saw at the theatre in order:
1. Trout Stanley (Southwark Playhouse)
2. Our Ajax (Southwark Playhouse)
3. Two (Southwark Playhouse)
4. The Dumb Waiter (Print Room)
5. An Enemy of the People (Beacon Centre)
6. HMS Pinafore (Union)
7. Richard II (Royal Shakespeare Theatre)
8. The Fastest Clock in the Universe (Old Red Lion Theatre)
9. The Pride (Trafalgar Studio 1)
10. Liolà (National; Lyttelton)

Who was the best performer in number one (Trout Stanley)?
It was only a three-hander, I'd feel so mean choosing one above the other two! Except I'm totally going to pick Sinéad Matthews, who really is just exceptionally good at what she does.

Why did you go to see number two (Our Ajax)?
I liked the name and I just renewed my Pay As You Go. I'm a REALLY easy sell for most things at the Southwark Playhouse, as you can possibly tell by the amount of time I spend there.

Can you remember a line/lyric from number three (Two) that you liked?
Honestly, the best bit of verbiage for me was at the interval where Matthew Gurney was discussing Movember with a member of the audience behind me - the guy behind me was clearly growing a moustache, and he confirmed it was for Movember; when he enquired whether Gurney was doing the same, Gurney's response seemed to be along the lines of "what, with this fabulous beard?". Except none of this was Jim Cartwright's works, and nor was any of it actually spoken aloud.

What would you give number four (The Dumb Waiter) out of ten?
8. It's a very weird little play but the production served it beautifully.

Was there someone hot in number five (An Enemy of the People)?
Nooo.

What was number six (HMS Pinafore) about?
Duty. ("They're ALL about duty." - Ainsley Hayes and Leo McGarry, The West Wing)

Who was your favourite actor in number seven (Richard II)?
This was probably the best Michael Pennington performance I have ever seen. I also give mad props to Oliver Ford Davies, who is responsible for me mentally renaming the play York's Terribly Bad Day, and Oliver Rix, for the necessary daddy issues that are an essential part of all good Histories.

What was your favourite bit in number eight (The Fastest Clock in the Universe)?
I was exceptionally taken with the character Sherbet Gravel, like, a RIDICULOUS amount. I spent at least 40% of the play nodding along vigorously in agreement. So my favourite bit of this play was: the vast majority of act two.

Would you see number nine (The Pride) again?
I definitely would.

What was the worst thing about number ten (Liolà)?
The very best thing and the very worst thing is how utterly attracted to Liolà I am, even though babies are NOT on my personal to-do list, and a sense of moral responsibility should really be a more attractive feature than being totally carefree.

Which was best?
Oh, The Fastest Clock in the Universe! It wasn't perfect, but it really continued to hammer home just how superbly excellent Philip Ridley is.

Which was worst?
Probably Our Ajax. I found it exceptionally difficult to relate to any of the characters, even though the cast really did all do a very good job.

Did any make you cry?
I definitely wept at Richard II. I might not have wept at any others. It comes and goes, like the tide.

Did any make you laugh?
Oh heavens yes! Trout Stanley, Two, HMS Pinafore, Richard II, The Fastest Clock in the Universe, The Pride, and Liolà.

Which roles would you like to play in any of them?
I would like to play a lady in HMS Pinafore. I'm not fussed who. I would like to direct a Richard II, I think, but not for some years yet. I LOVE Sherbet Gravel, but may not be the right choice to play her.

Which one did you have best seats for?
Managed to snag front row centre for Trout Stanley, Our Ajax, Two, and The Pride. Also got a good seat for getting out in a hurry if The Fastest Clock in the Universe caught fire, although we did have to eject the director when he tried stealing our seats after the interval.

No comments:

Post a Comment