Sunday 26 January 2014

Last 10 things seen at the theatre: #048

4th to 25th January.


List the last 10 things you saw at the theatre in order:
1. Richard II (Barbican)
2. The Blackest Black (Hampstead Downstairs)
3. Wendy and Peter Pan (Royal Shakespeare Theare)
4. The Duchess of Malfi (Sam Wanamaker Playhouse)
5. Wendy and Peter Pan (Royal Shakespeare Theatre)
6. Bring Up The Bodies (Swan Theatre)
7. Wolf Hall (Swan Theatre)
8. The Wind in the Willows (Duchess)
9. Once (Phoenix)
10. The Elephantom (Shed)

Who was the best performer in number one (Richard II)?
I often get deja vu with this meme. This alone is probably a valid reason to stop returning to productions I've previously enjoyed. Also, I am not going to choose a best performer, because it was by and large an extremely strong ensemble turning in some damn fine work, especially at this the final performance.

Why did you go to see number two (The Blackest Black)?
I had a spare matinee slot and everything else I wanted to see hadn't opened yet. So I asked Twitter for affordable help and this was what came back.

Can you remember a line/lyric from number three (Wendy and Peter Pan) that you liked?
SO MANY, AND IT'S NOT EVEN SHAKESPEARE. Though some of the lines do lack a little something when taken out of the context of the truly glorious public understudy performance, so I shall go with "I am Wendy Darling. I am brave and I am strong and I am going on an adventure". I'm also going to throw some bonus recognition at "I could do kisses very well from a young age. I used to kiss my trousers before I went to school", which I only really got on the way home. I need to stop taking delightfully surreal lines at face value, I'm laughing at them as required but not really appreciating the full meaning of the humour.

What would you give number four (The Duchess of Malfi) out of ten?
8. Nicely clear production, beautiful theatre, good cast.

Was there someone hot in number five (Wendy and Peter Pan)?
It was a public understudy performance. I went in with inappropriate Lost Boy feelings, I came out half in love with the one cast member who doesn't even have his headshot on the RSC website. (Which actually also comes under inappropriate Lost Boy feelings in this context.) I'm not entirely comfortable talking about how extremely attracted I am to most of the actors playing young children in this cast to be honest. Let's just say "yes" and leave it at that.

What was number six (Bring Up The Bodies) about?
I don't know about your school, but we spent at least three years studying the Tudors. If you managed to sleep through that entire three year period, then I can't help you.

Who was your favourite actor in number seven (Wolf Hall)?
Well, it was clearly Joshua James. He's terrifically good and should, if there is any justice in the world, go extremely far.

What was your favourite bit in number eight (The Wind in the Willows)?
I most enjoyed any part where Ratty was particularly sassy. Which, as I seem to recall, was pretty much every minute he was on stage.

Would you see number nine (Once) again?
I certainly would! I can see how it may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I'm a frustrated folk musician at heart. How could I resist?

What was the worst thing about number ten (The Elephantom)?
Was there anything bad about The Elephantom? Even the audience was wonderful this time around. If I never see another production I enjoy as much as this one ever again, I will still be able to die happy knowing that I saw this.

Which was best?
The Elephantom. No question.

Which was worst?
Hmmm, I guess The Blackest Black didn't really do much interestingly enough to qualify for not being the answer to this question, not compared with all the others. January has largely been a superb month.

Did any make you cry?
I definitely wept at Richard II and Wendy and Peter Pan. And almost certainly Once.

Did any make you laugh?
Wendy and Peter Pan, fo sho. Wolf Hall and Bring Up the Bodies were delightfully non-devoid of laughs. The Elephantom made me LAUGH MY ASS OFF.

Which roles would you like to play in any of them?
I want to be an Elephantom. I want to come round for parties on Friday night and dance to 'Groove is in the Heart'. I'd be anyone in Once, as long as that meant I magically had the required instrumental skills. And I think it would be quite brilliant to be a Shadow in Wendy and Peter Pan.

Which one did you have best seats for?
The Elephantom. Totally.

No comments:

Post a Comment