Sunday 9 March 2014

Last 10 things seen at the theatre: #050

16th February to 6th March.


List the last 10 things you saw at the theatre in order:
1. As You Like It (Tobacco Factory)
2. King Lear (National; Olivier)
3. Urinetown (St James)
4. Twelve Angry Men (Garrick)
5. Secret Theatre: Show 4 (Lyric Hammersmith)
6. Blurred Lines (National; Shed)
7. The Knight of the Burning Pestle (Sam Wanamaker Playhouse)
8. Superior Donuts (Southwark Playhouse)
9. Outbox: Snapshots (Arcola)
10. Bear (Old Red Lion)

Who was the best performer in number one (As You Like It)?
I'm sorry, I can't hear the question over the fabulousness that is Dorothea Myer-Bennett's HAIR. She was also excellent, though her Ganymede voice does sound offputtingly like the voice of a woman I know.

Why did you go to see number two (King Lear)?
Rhian managed to snag a pair of front row seats and, in the interest of actually being able to see the performances, I graciously agreed to be her +1.

Can you remember a line/lyric from number three (Urinetown) that you liked?
There are so many gloriously witty and fantastic lyrics in this show that I may just have to ignore the question or else risk typing out the entire libretto.

What would you give number four (Twelve Angry Men) out of ten?
A respectable if not earth-shattering 7.

Was there someone hot in number five (Secret Theatre: Show 4)?
Adelle Leonce is currently sporting a full head of flaming red tumbling locks that I simply could not look away from. She looks agonisingly fabulous.

What was number six (Blurred Lines) about?
Feminism.

Who was your favourite actor in number seven (The Knight of the Burning Pestle)?
Well, it was Matthew Needham. Once one has developed a fondness for a particular ensemble, the fondness continues even once the ensemble has scattered to the four winds.

What was your favourite bit in number eight (Superior Donuts)?
I loved the play. I considered it a very respectable Steppenwolf response to classic European theatre that was extremely well produced and terrifically well performed. But my favourite bit, my absolute number one favourite bit that I would relive again in a heartbeat, was the interval donut. It was a sticky toffee pudding donut, and it was AMAZING.

Would you see number nine (Outbox: Snapshots) again?
Not in its current form, but if Frog Stone or Tom Wells or Alexi Kaye Campbell wanted to expand their input into longer pieces, I would be up for that.

What was the worst thing about number ten (Bear)?
There was that awkward moment where my body quietly informed me that I would either have to leave the auditorium or make a terrible commotion. I chose the former option, and now I may never find out how the play ends! Which is a damn crying shame, because I was greatly enjoying it. Mad props to the assorted people who were kind to me at a time when a little kindness went a long way!

Which was best?
It turns out that King Lear was properly amazing after all! This is good to know.

Which was worst?
The first segment of Outbox: Snapshots. It was so focused on making its point that it just ended up being heavy-handed and not very entertaining.

Did any make you cry?
I appear to be going through a dry-eyed phase again, which is nice.

Did any make you laugh?
Probably all of them. I really can't be bothered going through the list and being specific.

Which roles would you like to play in any of them?
Last year I played Celia in a small local production of As You Like It. This year I have gone over to a large local production of As You Like It and will thus be playing Amiens. The musical director is thinking of trying to get me a cittern. I AM SO EXCITED ABOUT THIS. I would be an amazing Orlando though. Regan, of course, is in my top five, although I'm beginning to want to direct King Lear rather than be in it. And I'd like to be in Urinetown, as whatever female role I am age- and vocally-appropriate for.

Which one did you have best seats for?
I don't think front row centre of the Olivier for King Lear is ever going to be beaten. Also I have now tried some restricted view seats in the Garrick that I found to be rather good and that will probably be sat in again should the need to go to the Garrick ever re-arise.

No comments:

Post a Comment