Monday 12 January 2015

Last 10 things seen at the theatre: #068

27th December to 10th January.


List the last 10 things you saw at the theatre in order:
1. Golem (Young Vic)
2. Shakespeare in Love (Noël Coward)
3. Tree (Old Vic)
4. The Knight of the Burning Pestle (Sam Wanamaker Playhouse)
5. Assassins (Menier Chocolate Factory)
6. Peter Pan (Polka Theatre)
7. Dick Whittington and his Cat (Lyric Hammersmith)
8. East is East (Trafalgar Studios)
9. 3 Winters (National; Lyttelton)
10. Tiger Country (Hampstead Theatre)

Who was the best performer in number one (Golem)?
Oh do please stop asking this question about genuine ensemble pieces.

Why did you go to see number two (Shakespeare in Love)?
I hadn't seen it yet. And I wasn't really in a hurry to, as it doesn't look like going anywhere soon, until they announced the cast change, and I realised I was on the verge of missing out on Colin Ryan as John Webster. As this was always my favourite bit of casting of the production, I thought I ought to get my skates on.

Can you remember a line/lyric from number three (Tree) that you liked?
There were so very many lines I enjoyed, but the only ones I can remember are the recurring ones, and I know I didn't really enjoy those as much as many of the one-offs.

What would you give number four (The Knight of the Burning Pestle) out of ten?
Let's go all out with a 10! I enjoyed it far more this time, being able to see what was going on, being more able to keep track of what was going on, being far more in the action, and being quite happy with the few casting changes. 2015 is off to a cracking start, hilarity-wise.

Was there someone hot in number five (Assassins)?
What, in the show in which Aaron Tveit is making his London theatre debut? That Assassins? Nah. Oh, wait, I did spend an awful lot of the show uncomfortably attracted to Stewart Clarke's Zangara too, that was a bit weird though not strictly speaking unpleasant.

What was number six (Peter Pan) about?
Puberty. And crocodiles. And using cannibalism to solve casting doubling issues.

Who was your favourite actor in number seven (Dick Whittington and his Cat)?
I believe my opinions of Andy Rush are, if not necessarily well documented, certainly common knowledge among the folks of my particular social circle.

What was your favourite bit in number eight (East is East)?
I liked any moment that came directly as a result of characters talking to each other instead of just about each other. It was a great play all round, but those scenes were the more interesting to me.

Would you see number nine (3 Winters) again?
No. I enjoyed it a great deal more than I thought I might, and there were some terrific performances, and I very much appreciated the male/female performer ratio, but I don't need to see it again.

What was the worst thing about number ten (Tiger Country)?
As one who recently undertook an AED course with the St John Ambulance, I did for a brief moment become a pale imitation of that most dreaded audience member - someone who's had medical training watching a medical show. There was some PRETTY POOR fake CPR on that stage, and there was an understandable but nonetheless glaring wardrobe error at one point too.

Which was best?
Assassins was easily the best. Tree and The Knight of the Burning Pestle and Dick Whittington and his Cat and East is East were pretty tremendous too, but Assassins was best.

Which was worst?
I suppose Peter Pan was least best? I'm considering excising this question to be honest, though I might just leave it in case I see a real stinker I need to vent about.

Did any make you cry?
I did not weep at any of these. Apart from needing to wipe my eyes from laughing so hard, I guess.

Did any make you laugh?
Definitely Tree and The Knight of the Burning Pestle and Dick Whittington and his Cat.

Which roles would you like to play in any of them?
I could definitely go for any role in Assassins, although I'm becoming less of a Squeaky Fromme and more of a Sara Jane Moore as the years roll by. The Knight of the Burning Pestle would be delightful to be a part of, no role preference there either.

Which one did you have best seats for?
The Knight of the Burning Pestle! I wasn't going to bother seeing it again, but then I saw that a prime pit ticket was available on a day when I was in London already, so I snapped it up and regretted precisely NOTHING.

No comments:

Post a Comment