Monday 13 April 2015

Last 10 things seen at the theatre: #073

27th March to 11th April.


List the last 10 things you saw at the theatre in order:
1. The Broken Heart (Sam Wanamaker Playhouse)
2. Roald Dahl's The Twits (Royal Court)
3. Isango Ensemble: Mysteries (Sam Wanamaker Playhouse)
4. Rules for Living (National; Dorfman)
5. Hug (Southbank Centre)
6. Deposit (Hampstead Theatre)
7. I Heart Catherine Pistachio (Soho)
8. peddling (Arcola)
9. Antigone (Barbican)
10. Radiant Vermin (Soho)

Who was the best performer in number one (The Broken Heart)?
I'm going with Joe Jameson. My wish for the coming year is that someone will write a play about a pair of fabulous kings and then cast Joe Jameson and Jack Holden in the lead roles.

Why did you go to see number two (Roald Dahl's The Twits)?
Come on, it was pretty irresistible.

Can you remember a line/lyric from number three (Isango Ensemble: Mysteries) that you liked?
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Anyone bold (dumb) enough to ask this question about this production clearly has no idea what an Isango Ensemble actually is, and therefore is not worthy of receiving ANY sort of answer to this question. (Nicely side-stepped, self.)

What would you give number four (Rules for Living) out of ten?
Oh, erm... 7? The fidgety chattery man next to me found it very Ayckbourn, though I thought it was a bit more Letts in terms of viciousness, but in concept I suppose I'd have to concede the Ayckbourn point. Very well performed, some very funny dialogue, an interesting idea, but there was something that was not quite there, though I'm damned if I can put my finger on what.

Was there someone hot in number five (Hug)?
There was literally no way of knowing, as the entire performance took place in a darkened room and didn't start until the audience had all put blindfolds on which didn't come off until after the performers left. But the fellow audience member I jumped on and insisted look after my glasses for me was a very beautiful lady, if that counts?

What was number six (Deposit) about?
You know when your attention starts to waver during a play, so you start rewriting it in your head as you watch it? By the end of this play, I had decided that it was about an incredibly advanced piece of medical robotics trying to convince a trio of friends that it was really human. Spoiler: it failed. Poor robot. It never stood a chance, humanity is a very hard thing to fake.

Who was your favourite actor in number seven (I Heart Catherine Pistachio)?
I only went because the delightful Carl Harrison was in it and, as expected, he was delightful.

What was your favourite bit in number eight (peddling)?
It would seem immediately difficult to break such a beautiful work down into bits, but there was one bit that was so transcendent that it just about makes this question easy to answer. I shall never listen to 'Lord of the Dance' in the same way ever again.

Would you see number nine (Antigone) again?
Hmm, nah. I liked it well enough, but I'm not enormous on Greek plays to begin with.

What was the worst thing about number ten (Radiant Vermin)?
Oh, that's a tough question. I was pretty exhausted by the end, if that counts?

Which was best?
I'd say Radiant Vermin (not just because I'm a Ridley obsessive) and peddling.

Which was worst?
None were worst, but several were not quite up to standard.

Did any make you cry?
I certainly wept a little at Hug. And for a comedy, Radiant Vermin didn't half make me well up in one scene.

Did any make you laugh?
There was undignified laughter at The Broken Heart, delighted laughter at Isango Ensemble: Mysteries, proper laughter at Radiant Vermin, and maybe like small amounts of laughter at most of the others.

Which roles would you like to play in any of them?
I wouldn't mind being a hugger, but that's probably it for this batch.

Which one did you have best seats for?
Probably peddling, with enormous apologies to my theatre buddy who would have preferred to be a little less conspicuous.

No comments:

Post a Comment