Thursday 13 August 2015

Last 10 things seen at the theatre: #079

26th July to 12th August.


List the last 10 things you saw at the theatre in order:
1. The Motherfucker with the Hat (National; Lyttelton)
2. As You Like It (Shakespeare's Globe)
3. Bears in Space (Soho)
4. Oklahoma! (Wycombe Swan)
5. The Heresy of Love (Shakespeare's Globe)
6. Songs for a New World (St James Theatre)
7. This Will End Badly (Old Red Lion Theatre)
8. Tonight with Donny Stixx (Soho Theatre)
9. Heartbreak Hotel (Jetty)
10. Henry V (original pronunciation) (Sam Wanamaker Playhouse)

Who was the best performer in number one (The Motherfucker with the Hat)?
Well, Yul Vásquez was the clear crowd favourite and deservedly so, but I also really enjoyed Flor De Liz Perez's performance. They were all excellent, in fairness.

Why did you go to see number two (As You Like It)?
My continuing life's work to see everything at the Globe.

Can you remember a line/lyric from number three (Bears in Space) that you liked?
There were many wildly entertaining lines of dialogue, many of which would remain humorous outside the context of the show, but alas, there were simply so many that I could never even hope to remember one.

What would you give number four (Oklahoma!) out of ten?
Hmmm. Well, the cast were fine, and the choreography was great, but the direction was lacking something that I can't quite put my finger on. A respectable though non-committal 7, I reckon?

Was there someone hot in number five (The Heresy of Love)?
Present to me a delightfully feminist show with some nasty misogyny on display, and I will be singularly unable to answer questions about anything so shallow and unimportant as attractiveness of cast members.

What was number six (Songs for a New World) about?
Although the show was full of wonderful songs covering a rich breadth of human experience, I don't know that I can say that the show was about anything in particular. The songs were about lots of things. The show was about putting them all together.

Who was your favourite actor in number seven (This Will End Badly)?
ONE MAN SHOW KLAXON Ben Whybrow. (But he was very good in his own right anyway.)

What was your favourite bit in number eight (Tonight with Donny Stixx)?
Oh man, I really really loved the whole play. I laughed, I laughed, I froze in my seat as the laughter died in my throat, I laughed again, and I was just all round blown away by the whole experience. So I can't possibly choose a single bit to be my favourite bit when the whole 80 minutes probably qualifies as my favourite bit. Though that said, I am now looking forward to telling people they don't have the sense God gave a Jaffa Cake.

Would you see number nine (Heartbreak Hotel) again?
Maybe! I really love the venue, and I liked the production well enough too.

What was the worst thing about number ten (Henry V (original pronunciation))?
THERE WAS NO DOG. I mean, it's not like there's a reason for there to be a dog in Henry V or anything, no matter what pronunciation you're using, but when there's been hints that there might be a dog involved, it's very difficult not to be a little disappointed when there's no dog after all.

Which was best?
EASILY Tonight with Donny Stixx!

Which was worst?

Did any make you cry?
I always cry at 'Stars and the Moon' (Songs for a New World), it's the saddest song about marrying for money I can think of.

Did any make you laugh?
The Motherfucker with the Hat, Bears in Space, and Tonight with Donny Stixx mostly.

Which roles would you like to play in any of them?
I've got an Ado Annie inside me that's going to tear walls down if I ever get the chance to let her loose.

Which one did you have best seats for?
Bears in Space, Oklahoma!, and Tonight with Donny Stixx, I'd say.

No comments:

Post a Comment