Monday 11 January 2016

Last 10 things seen at the theatre: #086

22nd December to 2nd January.


List the last 10 things you saw at the theatre in order:
1. Bright Star (Kennedy Center)
2. Peter Pan Goes Wrong (Apollo)
3. Ben Hur (Tricycle)
4. The Dazzle (Found111)
5. The Lorax (Old Vic)
6. Peter Pan (Wycombe Swan)
7. Hapgood (Hampstead Theatre)
8. Pine (Hampstead Theatre)
9. The Woman in Black (Fortune)
10. Macbeth (Young Vic)

Who was the best performer in number one (Bright Star)?
I mean, the show is basically piled onto the back of Carmen Cusack and she carries the whole thing with grace and charm and aplomb, but it didn't really pick up until the action moved to Asheville and some sarcastic characters were introduced, so credit must also go to Jeff Blumenkrantz and Emily Padgett.

Why did you go to see number two (Peter Pan Goes Wrong)?
I booked Waste at the National Theatre because this was the one performance slot where I was available and I could easily find a £15 ticket. And then I saw there was a matinee of Evening at the Talk House on the same day with £15 tickets available, so I thought it might be quite nice and relaxing to have a double-bill at the National so I could just have a lazy day with minimal walking. Then the word of mouth started flooding in so I returned both tickets for credit and decided to have a silly day seeing silly plays instead.

Can you remember a line/lyric from number three (Ben Hur) that you liked?
There were a great many enjoyable lines, but the only one I remember right now is "you'll recognise him if you watch television! ... in the daytime. ... in Wales".

What would you give number four (The Dazzle) out of ten?
Hmmm... 7? The performances were superb but I'm not 100% sold on the play itself. Also I'm not sure about the venue, though cannot fault my £10 ticket.

Was there someone hot in number five (The Lorax)?
Well, it's all a matter of personal taste really. Simon Lipkin would probably feature on a few lists if we're being honest, but there are other appealing company members too.

What was number six (Peter Pan) about?
I'm not entirely sure, but I don't think it was about Peter Pan.

Who was your favourite actor in number seven (Hapgood)?
Probably Nick Blakeley?

What was your favourite bit in number eight (Pine)?
Oh! Well, I enjoyed the whole play a great deal, but I suppose the end-of-act-one musical interlude might show its head as an actual favourite part. It was very beautifully done.

Would you see number nine (The Woman in Black) again?
Well I've already seen it seven times, so as long as they keep casting people I like or bringing it to theatres near me or just, y'know, existing, I expect I will most certainly see it again.

What was the worst thing about number ten (Macbeth)?
I really enjoyed it personally, but if you're a Macbeth superfan who thinks the text is absolutely sacred, or if you're one of the maybe three people who's never seen or read the play before, then I can't even begin to imagine how it would have made you feel. For the record, I feel SUPER GREAT about the Porter being cut and 4.3 being hacked down to the barest bones and will wholeheartedly support ANY production that provides this.

Which was best?
The Lorax, I reckon, though I had a lot of fondness for Peter Pan Goes Wrong.

Which was worst?
One doesn't wish to appear ungrateful, but Peter Pan was far from the greatest pantomime I've ever seen. I also thought Hapgood was pretty Hapmeh.

Did any make you cry?
Not this time!

Did any make you laugh?
Bright Star was delightful and ridiculous in equal measure, Peter Pan Goes Wrong and Ben Hur were downright hilarious, and Pine was fairly charming too.

Which roles would you like to play in any of them?
The Lorax is just one of those shows where you don't care what role you could play, you would accept anything just to be involved. Same with Bright Star, I think, but for very different reasons.

Which one did you have best seats for?
For front row centre, The Dazzle, Pine, and Macbeth. I was also very amused by the restricted shoulder space for my Ben Hur seat, and Bright Star was a pretty excellent seat too, even if it was front row when I booked but third row by the time we arrived.

No comments:

Post a Comment