Monday 2 May 2016

Last 10 things seen at the theatre: #091

14th to 30th April.


List the last 10 things you saw at the theatre in order:
1. X (Royal Court)
2. Bug (Found111)
3. An Inspector Calls (Wycombe Swan)
4. Hamlet (Shakespeare's Globe)
5. Cleansed (National; Dorfman)
6. Doctor Faustus (Duke of York's)
7. Such Stuff As Dreams Are Made On (Capstan House)
8. Cyprus Avenue (Royal Court)
9. Welcome Home, Captain Fox! (Donmar)
10. All's Well That Ends Well (Tobacco Factory)

Who was the best performer in number one (X)?
Hmmm. Well probably Jessica Raine or maybe Darrell D'Silva. She carried the bulk of the show, but he made a good impact in spite of the relative size of role.

Why did you go to see number two (Bug)?
I didn't want to go. I hate the venue and £35 is entirely too much to pay for a seat unless it is very comfortable. But the synopsis sounded interesting and it's been far too long since James Norton was last on the stage, so once the casting was announced, it was something of a reluctant foregone conclusion.

Can you remember a line/lyric from number three (An Inspector Calls) that you liked?
"But just remember this. One Eva Smith has gone - but there are millions and millions and millions of Eva Smiths and John Smiths still left with us, with their lives, their hopes and fears, their suffering, and chance of happiness, all intertwined with our lives, with what we think and say and do. We don't live alone. We are members of one body. We are responsible for each other. And I tell you that the time will soon come when, if men will not learn that lesson, then they will be taught it in fire and blood and anguish." You can sort of see why they're still teaching it in schools, can't you? No wonder the government is trying to get rid of the arts in schools.

What would you give number four (Hamlet) out of ten?
Probably 8 for the production, but 10 for the whole experience and finally having all those lovely actors back in our lives.

Was there someone hot in number five (Cleansed)?
I've become somewhat infatuated with Graham Butler who, in addition to being an increasingly excellent actor, once passed a patient afternoon in a theatre foyer picking things up for a group of butter-fingered old ladies while I sat several feet away trying - and failing - not to be extremely charmed. So this play was an interesting experience for me.

What was number six (Doctor Faustus) about?
A weepy-eyed man-child and his inability to make good decisions.

Who was your favourite actor in number seven (Such Stuff As Dreams Are Made On)?
I can't answer this one. There were too many I didn't get to spend enough time with.

What was your favourite bit in number eight (Cyprus Avenue)?
Nah, it's not a play of bits, it's a play of everything coming together to make a whole.

Would you see number nine (Welcome Home, Captain Fox!) again?
I think I would, actually. I mean, it's more likely that I'd plant a hidden camera in one of the dressing rooms and mount a daring raid to steal Fenella Woolgar's yellow striped dress WITH POCKETS from wardrobe, but also I think I'd see the play again given the time and money.

What was the worst thing about number ten (All's Well That Ends Well)?
I always feel like you've got to pitch Helena and Bertram on similar levels, as in many ways each is as flawed as the other, otherwise the title is a little too sarcastic. And in this particular production, Helena was probably a bit too much of a beautiful cinnamon roll. (I hate having to answer this question about perfectly fine productions with no real issues.)

Which was best?
I reckon Cyprus Avenue. Believe the hype, but be prepared for the dark.

Which was worst?
I did not click with Doctor Faustus, and I'm getting angrier about it the longer I have to think about it.

Did any make you cry?
None of them, for once.

Did any make you laugh?
Definitely Cyprus Avenue and Hamlet. Probably none of the others, to any real degree.

Which roles would you like to play in any of them?
I don't fancy any of them to be honest, but I wouldn't mind directing a gender-flipped production of All's Well That Ends Well just to see how it works out.

Which one did you have best seats for?
I did okay with Bug and Cyprus Avenue, but An Inspector Calls was probably the actual best seat.

No comments:

Post a Comment