Thursday 19 January 2017

Last 10 things seen at the theatre: #102

27th December to 18th January.


List the last 10 things you saw at the theatre in order:
1. Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Part 2 (Palace)
2. Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Part 1 (Palace)
3. The Red Barn (National; Lyttelton)
4. The Comedy About a Bank Robbery (Criterion)
5. Potted Panto (Garrick)
6. Art (Old Vic)
7. Saint Joan (Donmar)
8. Wild Honey (Hampstead)
9. Two Noble Kinsmen (Swan Theatre)
10. The Rover (Swan Theatre)

Who was the best performer in number one (Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Part 2)?
I've said it before and I'll say it again - Anthony Boyle is absolutely the break-out star of this production.

Why did you go to see number two (Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Part 1)?
I didn't book when it first went on sale because I didn't have any money. By the time I had money, this was the earliest I could get a decent ticket for. And then I managed to get in during previews anyway, but a repeat visit to a show never hurt anyone.

Can you remember a line/lyric from number three (The Red Barn) that you liked?
No. There was one sequence I genuinely loved, but it had precisely no dialogue, and indeed the play was very much at its best when there was precisely no dialogue to have to consider.

What would you give number four (The Comedy About a Bank Robbery) out of ten?
7! It was not life-changing but it was satisfactorily stupid.

Was there someone hot in number five (Potted Panto)?
Not so much for me thank you.

What was number six (Art) about?
Middle-aged middle-class white man problems.

Who was your favourite actor in number seven (Saint Joan)?
Gemma Arterton continues to give off the impression that she is an extremely brilliant person.

What was your favourite bit in number eight (Wild Honey)?
I don't think I had a favourite bit to be honest. The whole production was equally joyful.

Would you see number nine (Two Noble Kinsmen) again?
Maybe. We don't get to see it very often, after all.

What was the worst thing about number ten (The Rover)?
I didn't have a lot of time for how unrepentantly rapey most of the male characters were, though I appreciate the authorial intent I perceived behind the words. I had even less time however for the admittedly short but clearly extra-textual fat joke that wasn't so easily chalked up simply to the character in question being complete garbage.

Which was best?
Maybe Wild Honey actually. I wasn't sure I was ready for another Platonov, so I lowered my expectations and was richly rewarded.

Which was worst?

Did any make you cry?
I cried a lot during Cursed Child but I've been having a crying sort of week to be honest.

Did any make you laugh?
The obvious ones made me laugh a lot, most of the rest made me laugh a bit.

Which roles would you like to play in any of them?
I don't think I fancy any of them really.

Which one did you have best seats for?
Wild Honey, definitely. I didn't book front row, but I was sat in the front row anyway, but the stage was the perfect height to not deeply distress my neck, so it was all good.

No comments:

Post a Comment