Sunday 24 September 2017

Last 10 things seen at the theatre: #112

26th August to 23rd September.


List the last 10 things you saw at the theatre in order:
1. Knives in Hens (Donmar)
2. Wings (Young Vic)
3. Much Ado About Nothing (Shakespeare's Globe)
4. Oslo (National; Lyttelton)
5. Mosquitoes (National; Dorfman)
6. Follies (National; Olivier)
7. King Lear (Shakespeare's Globe)
8. Girl from the North Country (Old Vic)
9. Lady Day at Emerson's Bar and Grill (Wyndham's)
10. The Hunting of the Snark (Vaudeville)

Who was the best performer in number one (Knives in Hens)?
I don't know that I'm willing to call any of them best, but I certainly got the most enjoyment out of watching Christian Cooke.

Why did you go to see number two (Wings)?
To quote George Mallory, "because it's there". Except more justifiable because the upper reaches of the Young Vic aren't referred to as the Death Zone. And I managed to come home from the play too. So who's the REAL winner here, Mallory? I mean, history still hasn't worked out if you actually won anything or not, so... was it even really worth it? (Sandy was 22, George. TWENTY TWO. What a frickin' waste.)

Can you remember a line/lyric from number three (Much Ado About Nothing) that you liked?
Generally speaking yes, in this production not so much.

What would you give number four (Oslo) out of ten?
It was very good - interesting and moving and well-performed - and as I was watching it I was sure it'd be a respectable 8, but then it started to outstay its welcome and I could feel my opinion physically waning as it went on for longer than I was willing to bear so I'm at a 6 right now. 7 is probably fairer, but apparently I can now only comfortably exist in the Lyttelton if I take a cushion with me.

Was there someone hot in number five (Mosquitoes)?
I confess I didn't notice while I was watching (the restricted-view seats in the Dorfman are an abomination and completely overpriced when you consider what's actually visible and I hate the Dorfman and I miss the Cottesloe) but it turns out Ira Mandela Siobhan was part of the cast and I'm sure we've all picked up by now that I think he's a very handsome man indeed.

What was number six (Follies) about?
WOMEN. IT WAS ABOUT WOMEN. MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN IN ALL THEIR GLORIOUS COMPLEXITY. (And their disappointing husbands too, I suppose.)

Who was your favourite actor in number seven (King Lear)?
I'm only filling this in two days after having seen it, but I'm honestly having a tough time remembering anything about the production.

What was your favourite bit in number eight (Girl from the North Country)?

Would you see number nine (Lady Day at Emerson's Bar and Grill) again?
In a heartbeat if I but had the time and could charm the box office staff into giving me a sneaky seat upgrade.

What was the worst thing about number ten (The Hunting of the Snark)?
Oh it was charming enough I guess, but there's something about a final song with lyrics like "if you liked the show tell your friends!" and "#HuntingOfTheSnark!" (yes, that's a hashtag). On the one hand, I'd be very amused if this were adopted for all shows, but on the other hand I'd just rather no show did it at all. It's already desperate enough when the cast comes out at the end to make you clap for them for heaven's sake.

Which was best?
Follies, closely followed by Lady Day at Emerson's Bar and Grill.

Which was worst?
I AM SO OVER KING LEAR, there are VERY FEW circumstances in which I will watch it ever again.

Did any make you cry?
Certainly Follies and Girl from the North Country.

Did any make you laugh?
Hmmm. Not exactly a laff riot, this batch.

Which roles would you like to play in any of them?
I am drawing closer to the day I start a YouTube channel based solely around the concept of me performing entire Shakespeare plays all by myself, and when that day comes, Much Ado will be the second play I tackle.

Which one did you have best seats for?
The ushers forced me into an upgrade for Knives in Hens, which was nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment