Friday 10 November 2017

Last 10 things seen at the theatre: #114

13th October to 4th November.


List the last 10 things you saw at the theatre in order:
1. Apologia (Trafalgar Studio 1)
2. The Exorcist (Phoenix)
3. The Lady from the Sea (Donmar)
4. Joseph Morpurgo: Hammerhead (Soho Theatre)
5. No One Will Tell Me How to Start a Revolution (Hampstead Downstairs)
6. Beowulf (Unicorn Theatre)
7. Laika (Unicorn Theatre)
8. The Seagull (Lyric Hammersmith)
9. Jane Eyre (National; Lyttelton)
10. The End of Hope (Soho Theatre)

Who was the best performer in number one (Apologia)?
Laura Carmichael, easily.

Why did you go to see number two (The Exorcist)?
I'm a fan of the horror genre and frankly there's just never enough of it on our stages. Also I'm a big fan of paying a mere £15 to sit in the second row of the stalls.

Can you remember a line/lyric from number three (The Lady from the Sea) that you liked?
"He probably won't make it out of his twenties. And I think that's probably for the best."

What would you give number four (Joseph Morpurgo: Hammerhead) out of ten?
8, for I did laugh heartily and mightily, at least until it was time for a sympathetic "aw". Actually I'm going to bump it up another 0.5 just for "TAKE IT TO THE ENDGAME". So 8.5. KRAPP.

Was there someone hot in number five (No One Will Tell Me How to Start a Revolution)?
Where's the line between "objectively hot" and "subjectively hot", and does this question want me to answer for the former or the latter? I can never entirely work out what I'm meant to put here when the cast is attractive but I'm not necessarily attracted to them.

What was number six (Beowulf) about?
It... it was about Beowulf. It's a fairly well known poem.

Who was your favourite actor in number seven (Laika)?
Josie Daxter.

What was your favourite bit in number eight (The Seagull)?
I didn't have a favourite bit really, the whole production was of a consistently high quality.

Would you see number nine (Jane Eyre) again?
I'm already on my third trip, there is a very real probability that I will keep going to see Jane Eyre as often as the National wants to bring it back or send it on tour or whatever. If nothing else, it's the only way to get to listen to the music again.

What was the worst thing about number ten (The End of Hope)?
I would have liked to see things a little more balanced between the two characters. By the time it finished, I still didn't feel that I really knew the female character, and I was beginning to get a headache from rolling my eyes so much at the male character's sense of entitlement.

Which was best?
Do not judge me, it was Jane Eyre.

Which was worst?

Did any make you cry?
I definitely had a little cry at The Lady from the Sea, and Laika was especially awkward as the ushers insisted on asking me on the way out if I'd enjoyed it.

Did any make you laugh?
Joseph Morpurgo: Hammerhead. I'm sure others must have done as well, but not as much.

Which roles would you like to play in any of them?
I have yet to work out if I actually want to play Jane Eyre or if I'm just disgustingly attracted to Mr Rochester.

Which one did you have best seats for?
Jane Eyre and The End of Hope. I didn't get spat on once!

No comments:

Post a Comment