Friday 29 December 2017

Last 10 things seen at the theatre: #117

16th to 28th December.


List the last 10 things you saw at the theatre in order:
1. A Christmas Carol (Old Vic)
2. Antony and Cleopatra (Barbican)
3. Bananaman (Southwark Playhouse)
4. The Grinning Man (Trafalgar Studio 1)
5. The Tin Drum (Shoreditch Town Hall)
6. Hamilton (Victoria Palace)
7. Imperium Part 2: Dictator (Royal Shakespeare Theatre)
8. Imperium Part 1: Conspirator (Royal Shakespeare Theatre)
9. Grimly Handsome (Royal Court)
10. Everybody's Talking About Jamie (Apollo)

Who was the best performer in number one (A Christmas Carol)?
Erin Doherty.

Why did you go to see number two (Antony and Cleopatra)?
I feel like we've reached a point with this question where people would be able to reasonably conclude that I don't actually like going to the theatre, I just like being able to brag about getting tickets for a tenner.

Can you remember a line/lyric from number three (Bananaman) that you liked?
There were a lot of wonderfully silly jokes, but alas all I've got is "Bananaman!", which in this context looks less like I remember a lyric and more like I had forgotten what the show was.

What would you give number four (The Grinning Man) out of ten?
9, please! I liked that they trimmed the running time down, as that was my one complaint when I saw it in Bristol, but I do miss some of the original cast members.

Was there someone hot in number five (The Tin Drum)?
Damon Daunno was uncomfortably handsome.

What was number six (Hamilton) about?
A bastard orphan son of a whore and a Scotsman dropped in the middle of a forgotten spot in the Caribbean by providence impoverished in squalor, and how he grew up to be a hero and a scholar. Or something.

Who was your favourite actor in number seven (Imperium Part 2: Dictator)?
Always nice to see Peter De Jersey, especially when one has been so bad about remembering who's in this production - or even that one has booked to see this production - that pretty much 95% of the cast came as something of a surprise.

What was your favourite bit in number eight (Imperium Part 1: Conspirator)?
Oh. Um. Although I enjoyed both plays (all six plays?) a great deal, it's not so easy to work out any particular scene or story that resonated particularly strongly.

Would you see number nine (Grimly Handsome) again?
I'd consider seeing a different production, the writing was the most fascinating part.

What was the worst thing about number ten (Everybody's Talking About Jamie)?
As a huge fan of the production itself and with not a weak link in the cast, I must settle for grumbling about the unhelpful box office staff member who should be reminded his job is to unite people with tickets, and not to argue as strongly as possible against helping them. Fingers crossed it was just me he took issue with, 'cos I can see less frequent theatre-goers being genuinely intimidated by this.

Which was best?
Everybody's Talking About Jamie.

Which was worst?

Did any make you cry?
A Christmas Carol worked very hard to manipulate the audience into tears, and not even I was immune. I also took Eros's death very hard in Antony and Cleopatra and am not sure I could explain why.

Did any make you laugh?
Bananaman was HILARIOUS. I feel sad for the people that aren't appreciating its ridiculous joys.

Which roles would you like to play in any of them?
It's not that I want to play any role in particular in Antony and Cleopatra, I just hoped I would have had the option next summer but apparently that's far too much to wish for.

Which one did you have best seats for?
I had ALL THE LEGROOM at Everybody's Talking About Jamie, and my seat for Antony and Cleopatra was excellent.

No comments:

Post a Comment