Friday 30 November 2018

Last 10 things seen at the theatre: #131

3rd to 24th November.


List the last 10 things you saw at the theatre in order:
1. I And You (Hampstead Upstairs)
2. The Wild Duck (Almeida)
3. ear for eye (Royal Court Downstairs)
4. Wise Children (Oxford Playhouse)
5. Stories (National; Dorfman)
6. The Wolves (Theatre Royal Stratford East)
7. Stepping Out (Beacon Centre)
8. SIX (Rose Theatre Kingston)
9. Chekhov's First Play (Battersea Arts Centre)
10. othellomacbeth (Lyric Hammersmith)

Who was the best performer in number one (I And You)?
I know there's a popular idea that the actor who went to drama school was better than the one who didn't, and I don't know if the popular idea is based in snobbery or if the performances just changed shape significantly by the end of the run, but I thought Maisie Williams was great.

Why did you go to see number two (The Wild Duck)?
Apparently I'm more keen on ducks than I ever really realised. Also I guess I like the director's work...

Can you remember a line/lyric from number three (ear for eye) that you liked?
I wish I could, I thought it was a great play with a helluva lot to be listened to and to think about.

What would you give number four (Wise Children) out of ten?
8. Yeah, I agree with a review I read that found the whimsy jarred rather with the actual plot, but I do love the patented Emma Rice whimsy goddamnit.

Was there someone hot in number five (Stories)?
If you like Sam Troughton, then there's a FINE assortment of him for you to choose between!

What was number six (The Wolves) about?
I'm sorry to break it to you, but it was about a girls indoor soccer team. It was pretty great though, even without any large canines roaming around the stage.

Who was your favourite actor in number seven (Stepping Out)?
Local production, actual friends, not willing to start beef by singling anyone out.

What was your favourite bit in number eight (SIX)?
Is it wrong to say "the entire show"? I'm glad I made the painful trek out to Kingston for this one, it was smart and witty and the songs were catchy AF.

Would you see number nine (Chekhov's First Play) again?
Definitely, I love feeling like my brain has been physically bruised by a Dead Centre production.

What was the worst thing about number ten (othellomacbeth)?
I didn't really click with the Othello half, which is weird when you consider how much I usually prefer it to Macbeth.

Which was best?
Ooh, some very good ones in this batch! I think I might go with SIX?

Which was worst?

Did any make you cry?
The Wild Duck is reaching The Cherry Orchard levels of "I just don't want to see this play anymore because it has never not been a painful experience".

Did any make you laugh?
Wise Children, Stepping Out, SIX, and Chekhov's First Play all did.

Which roles would you like to play in any of them?
I could've been Platonov. I COULD have been Platonov, ANY of us could have been Platonov. I think I just want to be in an Emma Rice production without any real need to play a particular role in a particular play (as long as I get to do the US run as well, for reasons *ahem*). I would quite like to play Anne Boleyn too, but only in SIX, never in anything else.

Which one did you have best seats for?
I had delightful seats for many of the above, including my cheap seat of choice for The Wild Duck (not just "this will do for the price", but "how in hell are they charging such a small amount for such a great seat"), but I think... Chekhov's First Play, probably.

No comments:

Post a Comment