Tuesday 5 March 2019

Last 10 things seen at the theatre: #135

9th February to 2nd March.


List the last 10 things you saw at the theatre in order:
1. The American Clock (Old Vic)
2. Richard II (Sam Wanamaker Playhouse)
3. Tartuffe (National; Lyttelton)
4. Blood Brothers (Wycombe Swan)
5. Jesus Hopped the A Train (Young Vic)
6. Séance (Vault Festival)
7. Come from Away (Phœnix)
8. All About Eve (Noël Coward)
9. Leave to Remain (Lyric Hammersmith)
10. Waitress (Adelphi)

Who was the best performer in number one (The American Clock)?
I personally enjoyed this play, even though the word of mouth was significantly more mixed, but I do honestly wonder how much I would have enjoyed it if Fred Haig hadn't been in it.

Why did you go to see number two (Richard II)?
I don't think I need a reason to go to see Richard II, though it definitely helped that it was an entirely female cast with not a white face among 'em.

Can you remember a line/lyric from number three (Tartuffe) that you liked?
"It's vulgar to count, and you know what? In the end, I just thought, why not? How come it's the men get to be all conflicted and confused, what about my fears, my insecurities, where's my mid-life crisis, when do I get to be the arsehole? When are my needs met?
      Don't worry, everyone had a nice time and no animals were harmed."
I don't know how I felt about the play as a whole, but good heavens I LOVED Elmire.

What would you give number four (Blood Brothers) out of ten?
6? I don't know how many times I've seen it (more than The Woman in Black, less than The Drowned Man?) but I think we've got to the point where it could really do with a whole shake-up rather than just gradually altering tiny things.

Was there someone hot in number five (Jesus Hopped the A Train)?
Not for me.

What was number six (Séance) about?
A really rude man, actually, who - if he truly were in a role where he would likely come into contact with bereaved and grieving people every day - should really reconsider his options. Also I got possessed by a small child because some idiot men refused to follow the ONE (1) instruction we were given, so.

Who was your favourite actor in number seven (Come from Away)?
I loved it but it was a true ensemble piece. I know that there's less critical thinking that has to go into picking a favourite over picking a best, but I truly can't pick one.

What was your favourite bit in number eight (All About Eve)?
I didn't like the production nearly half as much as I liked my cameo appearance in this blog afterwards, for I am a narcissist and enjoy nothing half so much as spotting myself in other people's blogposts. (And for the record, the title of the post is not referring to me.)

Would you see number nine (Leave to Remain) again?
If they bring it back or revive it, I'll strongly consider it. I loved it a great deal, but don't exactly have time to get there again by the end of the run.

What was the worst thing about number ten (Waitress)?
In the nicest possible way, I very much hope that the production lasts at least one cast change, as there are roles that I think could benefit from being played by more skilled musical theatre performers (although as one of them has been grossly written and has the worst song in the show, maybe I shouldn't hold my breath).

Which was best?
Come from Away, I think. It's important to remember that there are forces for good out there. I loved Leave to Remain too.

Which was worst?

Did any make you cry?
Come from Away was a snifflefest from start to finish. I feel like I must have got at least a little bit emosh at Leave to Remain and Waitress too.

Did any make you laugh?
Tartuffe and Come from Away.

Which roles would you like to play in any of them?
None are really standing out at the moment to be honest.

Which one did you have best seats for?
I had ye olde favourite, front row centre, for Tartuffe, Leave to Remain, and Waitress. I cannot recommend front row centre for Waitress though, it's a very higher stage (high even than the stage for Tartuffe, which had to be elevated so we could get that Taylor-Swift-dissing-Kanye-West moment at the end).

No comments:

Post a Comment