Monday 15 July 2019

Last 10 things seen at the theatre: #139

25th May to 24th June.


List the last 10 things you saw at the theatre in order:
1. The Damned (Barbican)
2. King Hedley II (Theatre Royal Stratford East)
3. Rutherford And Son (National; Lyttelton)
4. A Midsummer Night's Dream (Hall Barn)
5. Amélie (Wycombe Swan)
6. The Knight Of The Burning Pestle (Barbican)
7. ANNA (National; Dorfman)
8. Dead Dog In A Suitcase (And Other Love Songs) (Lyric Hammersmith)
9. The Starry Messenger (Wyndham's)
10. Three Sisters (Almeida)

Who was the best performer in number one (The Damned)?
Oh I just did not enjoy this production enough to be bothered casting my mind back for a stand-out performer. If you're that interested, go find one of the positive reviews and see what you can glean from that.

Why did you go to see number two (King Hedley II)?
I'd like to see if I can collect the entire August Wilson oeuvre. I don't mean to cast aspersions, but it looks like it's going to be much harder than collecting all the Shakespeare plays, so I'm not going to miss an opportunity.

Can you remember a line/lyric from number three (Rutherford And Son) that you liked?
I just took a lot of offence at the idea of Janet Rutherford being pitied for being 36 and still unmarried. And here was me thinking I could stop taking theatre so personally once I passed 35 and Company closed...

What would you give number four (A Midsummer Night's Dream) out of ten?
Local production, actual friends, don't want to start beef.

Was there someone hot in number five (Amélie)?
I was a little sad at how underused Chris Jared was considering how I enjoy watching him, though I suppose watching Danny Mac was reasonable compensation.

What was number six (The Knight Of The Burning Pestle) about?
Francis Beaumont showing off just how outrageously ahead of his time he was. With a sneaky contemporary European twist. Performed in Russian. I need to stop going to the Barbican, it's far too easy to view these productions as being entirely normal things to see.

Who was your favourite actor in number seven (ANNA)?
I would very much like to see Georgia Landers in more plays please.

What was your favourite bit in number eight (Dead Dog In A Suitcase (And Other Love Songs))?
I always like it when a show decides to go out with a big overwhelming bang. If you're not spat out of the theatre into the night, still reeling, then was it even worth going at all?

Would you see number nine (The Starry Messenger) again?
NOPE. I can't even recall why I decided to see it just the once, though it is always nice to reconnect with friends.

What was the worst thing about number ten (Three Sisters)?
I don't have a worst thing, I enjoyed this production very much.

Which was best?
I don't know if Rutherford And Son was actually good or if the cast were just superb. I did love Three Sisters much more uncomplicatedly though.

Which was worst?
I did not get on with The Damned. I will punch Ivo van Hove in the nose one day.

Did any make you cry?
I don't think any of them did. Three Sisters was the one that came closest though.

Did any make you laugh?
The Knight Of The Burning Pestle works in any language, it turns out.

Which roles would you like to play in any of them?
I already played Helena so I guess maybe I'd like to have a bash at Titania or Peter Quince (or even Bottom) next. Also I think it's clear that if I were one of Chekhov's Three Sisters then I would obviously be Olga.

Which one did you have best seats for?
Rutherford And Son, I think. Even with the weird overhang and the unnecessary stool. I had front row centre for a number of these shows, but this one gets the points for randomly sitting me next to a friend I wasn't expecting to see, and leaving empty seats on either side of us so we were able to move along a little at the interval and minimise the effects of the unnecessary stool.

No comments:

Post a Comment