Tuesday 5 June 2012

Last 10 things seen at the theatre: #020

18th May to 2nd June.


List the last 10 things you saw at the theatre in order:
1. Detroit (National; Cottelsoe)
2. Cymbeline (Barbican)
3. The Merchant of Venice (Shakespeare's Globe)
4. The Winter's Tale (Shakespeare's Globe)
5. Love's Labour's Lost (Shakespeare's Globe)
6. Love Love Love (Royal Court)
7. La Boheme (Hackney Empire)
8. The Ragged-Trousered Philanthropists (Hackney Empire)
9. Aesop's Fables (Hackney Empire)
10. King Lear (Shakespeare's Globe)

Who was the best performer in number one (Detroit)?
It's a toss-up between Clare Dunne and Justine Mitchell. They both had moments where they threatened to be the very best thing on the stage, but ultimately came off equal.

Why did you go to see number two (Cymbeline)?
Because lord knows I'm not getting enough foreign language Shakespeare from the Globe. Also, my residual interest in Japanese culture means I've been very keen to see a Ninagawa production for some years now, and this is the first one that came along.

Can you remember a line/lyric from number three (The Merchant of Venice) that you liked?
I must apologise, but I am a monoglot. There is no way I can answer this question.

What would you give number four (The Winter's Tale) out of ten?
Ooh, an unashamed 9! It went against many things I think I know about the play, but it worked SO SO WELL.

Was there someone hot in number five (Love's Labour's Lost)?
OH yes. Matthew Gurney as Berowne, resplendent in terracotta trousers and Van Dyke beard, and looking not unlike Raúl Esparza.

What was number six (Love Love Love) about?
Baby boomers through the ages, and the witchcraft spun by Victoria Hamilton both offstage and on.

Who was your favourite actor in number seven (La Boheme)?
I know it's an obvious choice, but Mhlekazi 'Whawha' Mosiea. He has THE BEST voice.

What was your favourite bit in number eight (The Ragged-Trousered Philanthropists)?
I rather liked the concert near the beginning of the second half with the hilarious conducting and the choir rigidly following every ill-advised arm movement. I have a soft spot for conductors.

Would you see number nine (Aesop's Fables) again?
Oh definitely! It took a little while to get going, but once it did, it was SUCH fun! I loved the Tortoise and the Frogs!

What was the worst thing about number ten (King Lear)?
"Worst" is a very strong word that doesn't really apply to such an enjoyable production made up of so many brilliant ideas, though perhaps where the production could've been stronger would have been to develop some of those ideas a little more fully.

Which was best?
Love Love Love and The Winter's Tale.

Which was worst?
I think it has to be Detroit by default. I enjoyed it, but I was always waiting for things to come clear that never did.

Did any make you cry?
The Winter's Tale, Love's Labour's Lost, and Love Love Love, I expect.

Did any make you laugh?
All of them did, to varying degrees.

Which roles would you like to play in any of them?
I wouldn't mind having a go at Nerissa or Jessica, though Portia is quite a way beyond me. Paulina, Hermione, and Perdita are all wonderful roles and I'd be happy to play any (and, indeed, have been happy playing Dorcas before now). I'd play any of the ladies in Love's Labour's Lost with joy, and of course there's Regan, one of my dream roles.

Which one did you have best seats for?
Love Love Love, easily.

No comments:

Post a Comment