Saturday 16 June 2012

Last 10 things seen at the theatre: #021

2nd to 15th June.


List the last 10 things you saw at the theatre in order:
1. Jekyll and Hyde (Union)
2. Matilda (Cambridge)
3. Chariots of Fire (Hampstead)
4. Mercury Fur (Trafalgar Studio 2)
5. Posh (Duke of York's)
6. Something Very Far Away (Unicorn)
7. Henry V (Shakespeare's Globe)
8. Twelfth Night (Roundhouse)
9. Hamlet (Shakespeare's Globe)
10. The Physicists (Donmar Warehouse)

Who was the best performer in number one (Jekyll and Hyde)?
I hate to be predictable, but Tim Rogers. I don't think there's always a correlation between "best performer" and "lead role", but sometimes, when answering this question, it feels like there really is. He was excellent though; deliciously meek and everyman as Henry, horrendously chilling and psychotic as Edward, and a fine voice too.

Why did you go to see number two (Matilda)?
Because it is STUPENDOUSLY brilliant.

Can you remember a line/lyric from number three (Chariots of Fire) that you liked?
It's probably cheating to quote Gilbert and Sullivan or 'Jerusalem' (I LOVE 'JERUSALEM' SO MUCH), so I will instead offer to you: "I believe God made me for a purpose, but he also made me fast. And when I run I feel His pleasure." I liked quite a lot of lines, but this is one of the few I actually remember.

What would you give number four (Mercury Fur) out of ten?
Haven't we done this already? 10. Always 10. I could not possibly give this production even the tiniest fraction less even though it hurts my heart beyond measure.

Was there someone hot in number five (Posh)?
Yes. I don't want to list them all, but I will give a special shout-out to Henry Lloyd-Hughes (even without moustache) and Tom Mison (who has an excellently hilarious drunk face).

What was number six (Something Very Far Away) about?
It was about no greater a thing than the love in one man's heart, and no lesser a thing than the furthest reaches of the universe.

Who was your favourite actor in number seven (Henry V)?
I might go with Beruce Khan. It's a shame he doesn't play Captain Gower all the time, for I really liked the low-key good-naturedness he brought to the role.

What was your favourite bit in number eight (Twelfth Night)?
I liked act 5, for that is the one section of the play I apparently do not have half-committed to memory, and I also liked any bit with Fabian, for Felix Hayes truly is the best Fabian I have ever seen.

Would you see number nine (Hamlet) again?
Maybe. If I was in Lithuania and had nothing to do of an evening, I would genuinely welcome the opportunity to revisit this one.

What was the worst thing about number ten (The Physicists)?
I was fairly upset when it was over. Something about it just pressed all my buttons, and I loved every minute of it.

Which was best?
Clearly Mercury Fur and Matilda! Though it has been a rather strong batch this time.

Which was worst?
Change "worst" to "least best", and I think it has to be Jekyll and Hyde by default. And that's more to do with Frank Wildhorn and Leslie Bricusse than anything more specific to the production.

Did any make you cry?
Matilda, Chariots of Fire, Mercury Fur, Something Very Far Away, Henry V, and The Physicists. Mostly Mercury Fur and Something Very Far Away, if I'm honest, though my eyes are still stinging a little from Matilda.

Did any make you laugh?
Matilda, Chariots of Fire, Mercury Fur, Posh, Henry V, Twelfth Night, and The Physicists. I feel I shouldn't really admit to laughing at Jekyll and Hyde because it was largely the murders that saw me cackling.

Which roles would you like to play in any of them?
MRS WORMWOOD. Vocally I'm more of a Miss Honey, but look how much FUN Mrs Wormwood has! I'd also like to play any role at all in Henry V for it is my all-time favourite play, I am currently playing Maria in Twelfth Night, and I REALLY need to direct Hamlet sooner or later.

Which one did you have best seats for?
I'm going with Chariots of Fire. I had several front (or near front) row seats, but they paled next to the experience of having to keep one's fat knees in check so as not to trip up any of the sprinting actors as they whizz past you. I do hope the set-up is as satisfying in the Gielgud as it is in the Hampstead.

No comments:

Post a Comment