Sunday 29 July 2012

Last 10 things seen at the theatre: #023

7th to 27th July.


List the last 10 things you saw at the theatre in order:
1. As of 1.52pm GMT on Friday April 27th this show has no title (Battersea Arts Centre)
2. Posh (Duke of York's)
3. A Doll's House (Young Vic)
4. South Downs/The Browning Version (Harold Pinter)
5. The Tiger Who Came to Tea (Lyric)
6. The Doctor's Dilemma (National; Lyttelton)
7. Richard III (Shakespeare's Globe)
8. The Physicists (Donmar Warehouse)
9. The Last of the Haussmans (National; Lyttelton)
10. Henry V (Hampstead)

Who was the best performer in number one (As of 1.52pm GMT on Friday April 27th this show has no title)?
Well, um... Daniel Kitson. One man shows have a certain inevitability about them when it comes to questions like this.

Why did you go to see number two (Posh)?
I already saw it once and liked it enough to want to see it a second time. Also, we had a family trip to the Houses of Parliament planned for that day, so it seemed far too appropriate an opportunity to pass up.

Can you remember a line/lyric from number three (A Doll's House) that you liked?
Is there any sentence in world drama more beautiful than "goodbye, Torvald"? What a perfectly monstrous creation Torvald Helmer is, all the more abhorrent for the simple fact he cannot, does not, will not understand that he has even done anything wrong.

What would you give number four (South Downs/The Browning Version) out of ten?
Well, South Downs was a perfectly respectable 7, and The Browning Version was a solid 9, so I suppose that averages out at 8.

Was there someone hot in number five (The Tiger Who Came to Tea)?
I imagine it was rather warm inside the tiger suit, but it simply wasn't that sort of show.

What was number six (The Doctor's Dilemma) about?
Nick Hytner showing theatregoers what he thinks of the government's systematic destruction of the NHS, I expect. Or Shaw being virtuosic with stage directions, that's a possibility too.

Who was your favourite actor in number seven (Richard III)?
I'm going with the utterly splendid James Garnon. He has proven, a little unexpectedly, to be the best Cecily I have ever seen. (I'd also give a shout-out to the young Duke of York, but alas I have no idea which child actor I saw in the role. He threatened to steal the show from a great many other excellent performers in spite of his lack of years.)

What was your favourite bit in number eight (The Physicists)?
I think I might go for John Heffernan's closing monologue. It was extraordinarily powerful and, combined with the final visual of the play, utterly chilling.

Would you see number nine (The Last of the Haussmans) again?
Quite possibly. It didn't really bring anything new to the table but it was hugely enjoyable, and it's never anything less than an inestimable pleasure to see Helen McCrory in action.

What was the worst thing about number ten (Henry V)?
As much as I loved the production and admired the strong ensemble work, I can't help but feel it would have benefitted from a more charismatic lead.

Which was best?
A Doll's House, The Browning Version, The Doctor's Dilemma, and Henry V, I think. This was largely a superb batch.

Which was worst?
South Downs was probably least best. It was a GOOD batch.

Did any make you cry?
Almost certainly. Shall we just assume they all did?

Did any make you laugh?
They definitely all made me laugh in places. I suspect the Kitson, Posh, and Richard III made me laugh most. I distinctly remember cackling at least once for all three

Which roles would you like to play in any of them?
I would like to play Sophie in The Tiger Who Came to Tea so I can own her tights. I would happily have a go at any of the women in Richard III, especially as one of them is Margaret of Anjou, though I suspect I would be a terrible Elizabeth in comparison to the men I've seen in the role. Anne seems not unrealistic tbh. I know I've answered this one for Henry V before!

Which one did you have best seats for?
Henry V. Again, front row centre, unimpeded view of Dominic Thorburn loitering attractively. Which reminds me, I really need to look into tickets for Our Country's Good...

No comments:

Post a Comment