Sunday 8 July 2012

Last 10 things seen at the theatre: #022

15th June to 7th July.


List the last 10 things you saw at the theatre in order:
1. The Winter's Tale (Hampstead)
2. Mack and Mabel (Southwark Playhouse)
3. The Comedy of Errors (Courtyard)
4. Birthday (Royal Court)
5. Matilda (Cambridge)
6. Henry V (Theatre Delicatessen)
7. Tender Napalm (Southwark Playhouse)
8. Macbeth (Chiltern Shakespeare Company)
9. Ragtime (Open Air Theatre)
10. Antigone (National; Olivier)

Who was the best performer in number one (The Winter's Tale)?
Heavens but they were all splendid! How does one even begin to choose? Oh, they were all magnificent, and I hope they know it, but I'm going to single out Vince Leigh for his intimidating and histrionic-free Paulina, and Finn Hanlon for his lovely Florizel.

Why did you go to see number two (Mack and Mabel)?
I'm in a show soon where we'll be singing a selection of songs from different shows, and several of the planned songs are from Mack and Mabel. As the Pay As You Go scheme isn't applicable for a lot of the run, I was considering not seeing this one, but then the song list appeared and I decided it would be worth squeezing it in so I could have a listen of the score. And OH how it was worth squeezing in, chaps!

Can you remember a line/lyric from number three (The Comedy of Errors) that you liked?
"We came into the world like brother and brother;/And now let's go hand in hand, not one before the other." It is important that you all realise Felix Hayes is one of the finest comedic actors we have at the moment, and we must treasure not only the laughs he brings to us, but also the moments where we cannot help being genuinely moved because he is not only hilarious, he is also BRILLIANT.

What would you give number four (Birthday) out of ten?
Um... 5. Excellent performances, but I agree with the consensus; if it had had a point beyond stretching a single joke out for 90 minutes, it would have been better, but it didn't seem to, so it wasn't.

Was there someone hot in number five (Matilda)?
Yes and no. Bertie Carvel is clearly a deliciously handsome man 99.9% of the time, and I did find time in the show to appreciate his form, but that doesn't change the fact he was playing a hideously grotesque woman of a pensionable age. With a MOLE that had HAIRS growing out of it. It was a very confusing afternoon.

What was number six (Henry V) about?
You'd think this would be an easy question considering the play, but it does depend on perspective. England's classic warrior king, war with France, and sometimes war is noble, sometimes it is a necessary evil, and sometimes it is hell. In this case, I'd say England's classic warrior king, war with France, and war is hell.

Who was your favourite actor in number seven (Tender Napalm)?
There were only two! And they were both exquisite. So Lara Rossi and Tom Byam Shaw.

What was your favourite bit in number eight (Macbeth)?
I liked the bit where the junior Macduff got kicked to death. It was some good kicking, and all my favourite people were in that scene.

Would you see number nine (Ragtime) again?
Most certainly! It was an excellent production of a terribly intriguing show!

What was the worst thing about number ten (Antigone)?
I didn't really emotionally connect, so even though the production was fine and the performances very good, I'm probably not going to remember it in the long run.

Which was best?
Matilda! Followed by The Winter's Tale, Tender Napalm, and Mack and Mabel, I think.

Which was worst?
Birthday.

Did any make you cry?
I may or may not still be weeping a little about The Winter's Tale (I totally am). I also found Mack and Mabel, The Comedy of Errors, Matilda, Tender Napalm, and Ragtime terribly moving in a teary fashion.

Did any make you laugh?
The Winter's Tale, Mack and Mabel, The Comedy of Errors, Birthday, Matilda, Tender Napalm, and Ragtime. I think.

Which roles would you like to play in any of them?
I have already played Dorcas in The Winter's Tale, but I'd be interested in Paulina, Hermione, or Perdita in the future. I'm not huge on The Comedy of Errors, but I'd have a go at any of the ladies if asked. I'd still love to play Mrs Wormwood in Matilda or any role going in Henry V. I'm not huge on Macbeth either, but I'd like to direct it one day, just to see if it is possible to have a production I actually love. (I'd also like to direct The Winter's Tale, just as soon as I work out what it is I want to do with Camillo/Antigonus/Paulina and, by extension, Mamillius/Perdita.)

Which one did you have best seats for?
The Winter's Tale! You just can't beat front row centre, especially when it involves an unimpeded view of Dominic Thorburn loitering attractively in every single Sicilian scene. Birthday and Matilda also involved very far forward seats, but they were less central so less joyous.

No comments:

Post a Comment