Tuesday 31 December 2013

Last 10 things seen at the theatre: #047

14th to 31st December.


List the last 10 things you saw at the theatre in order:
1. In the Next Room, or the Vibrator Play (St James)
2. Jeeves and Wooster in Perfect Nonsense (Duke of York's)
3. Jack and the Beanstalk (Southwark Playhouse)
4. Drawing the Line (Hampstead)
5. The Elephantom (Shed)
6. Henry V (Noël Coward)
7. Thomas of Woodstock (Barbican)
8. Coriolanus (Donmar Warehouse)
9. Mojo (Harold Pinter)
10. American Psycho (Almeida)

Who was the best performer in number one (In the Next Room, or the Vibrator Play)?
I'm going with Ed Bennett. It's nice, after a while of not seeing a favourite performer onstage, to be instantly reminded of why you liked them so much in the first place. Bit of a theme for this set of questions today...

Why did you go to see number two (Jeeves and Wooster in Perfect Nonsense)?
Well, there was an unexpected Monday matinee, and when one has a theatre buddy planning on queuing for dayseats, one does like to take advantage where one can.

Can you remember a line/lyric from number three (Jack and the Beanstalk) that you liked?
Alas, no. There were some quite good jokes that I would've stolen if only I had a memory for lines.

What would you give number four (Drawing the Line) out of ten?
8, I reckon.

Was there someone hot in number five (The Elephantom)?
It... it wasn't that kind of show. It was riotous and joyous and I laughed so hard I was sobbing, but the LAST thing I was thinking about was the sex appeal of any of the performers!

What was number six (Henry V) about?
Funnily enough, I was asked this question in the dayseat queue by a gentleman who had rightly deduced that I knew something of this writer called Shakespeare. I started my explanation with a brief(ish) rundown of the events of Richard II, and ended up with the whole "war with France!" bit. I shall spare you the full retelling.

Who was your favourite actor in number seven (Thomas of Woodstock)?
I thought Jake Mann made a pretty splendid Richard actually. I shall be almost sorry to see that hair-extensioned Scot in the role again come January.

What was your favourite bit in number eight (Coriolanus)?
Any bit with Peter De Jersey. Mostly Peter De Jersey. He is SPLENDID. Which goes back to the first question! See, I said there was a theme!

Would you see number nine (Mojo) again?
I probably would actually, if the time and finances allowed. I'm not sure they will, but it's a production worth seeing multiple times where possible.

What was the worst thing about number ten (American Psycho)?
Oh gosh, I don't know. I thought the production very well done and also extremely faithful to the source material, and the performances were excellent too.

Which was best?
Probably In the Next Room, and The Elephantom. Which I think says more about me than anything else really.

Which was worst?
Hmmm. Well, I suppose Jack and the Beanstalk started quite slowly, but it was planting seeds that would be reaped quite neatly in the second half so it all worked out nicely in the end.

Did any make you cry?
I definitely wept during In the Next Room and The Elephantom. Oh god and I think those were it. Yes, my psyche, she is... special.

Did any make you laugh?
In the Next Room did, Perfect Nonsense did, Jack and the Beanstalk did, The Elephantom did, and American Psycho did.

Which roles would you like to play in any of them?
I WANT TO BE AN ELEPHANTOM. Though that could be considered a life goal rather than a desired role.

Which one did you have best seats for?
Thomas of Woodstock. Front row centre isn't always the best, it turns out, but it was in this case.

1 comment:

  1. Did you know that you can create short links with BCVC and make $$$ from every visit to your short links.

    ReplyDelete