Thursday 7 May 2015

Last 10 things seen at the theatre: #074

12th April to 1st May.


List the last 10 things you saw at the theatre in order:
1. The Picture of Dorian Gray (Alnwick Playhouse)
2. Romeo and Juliet (Shakespeare's Globe)
3. Everyman (National; Olivier)
4. Deluge (Hampstead Theatre)
5. The Merchant of Venice (Shakespeare's Globe)
6. The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas (Wycombe Swan)
7. Ah, Wilderness! (Young Vic)
8. Death of a Comedian (Soho)
9. Score (Camden People's Theatre)
10. Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street (Coliseum)

Who was the best performer in number one (The Picture of Dorian Gray)?
Probably it was Guy Warren-Thomas, he was fairly convincing in the variety of ages he portrayed.

Why did you go to see number two (Romeo and Juliet)?
Globe.

Can you remember a line/lyric from number three (Everyman) that you liked?
Lots I liked, bugger all I can remember.

What would you give number four (Deluge) out of ten?
Erm... 6? I was hard pressed to remember what I'd been watching once I'd left the theatre and though I believe I picked up on all the plot points, there was a certain impenetrability that lingered and bothered me. However I know I definitely enjoyed the bit before the play even started where an audience member learned the hard (wet) way there's a reason why stage management ask the audience not to cross the staging area.

Was there someone hot in number five (The Merchant of Venice)?
There's a bit of a Venn diagram in my life, of "actors who I fancy" and "actors who my mum fancies", and it turns out Jonathan Pryce is smack-dab in the middle of that. I mean, he's a superb actor and did a fantastic Shylock but also, dear god, I still would.

What was number six (The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas) about?
Unrelenting bleakness, haltingly portrayed. Seriously guys, this is a BIG ask of a pre-teen.

Who was your favourite actor in number seven (Ah, Wilderness!)?
Oh, really? With such a beautiful set and such lovely direction I have to pick one of the actors? Then I guess Dominic Rowan, for his epic battle against cutlery.

What was your favourite bit in number eight (Death of a Comedian)?
Erm, I don't think there was a favourite bit.

Would you see number nine (Score) again?
For sure!

What was the worst thing about number ten (Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street)?
I am unwavering in my belief that Sweeney Todd is one of the three best musicals ever written. Even with a distant restricted view seat, a woman in front of me who kept sitting up like a meerkat and impeding my view further, and a terrible realisation that I was going to have to run like the clappers to stand any chance of getting the train I needed, there can be nothing "worst" about any half-decent production of Sweeney Todd, especially one with such a gloriously huge orchestra.

Which was best?
I would say The Merchant of Venice, if I were to pick one.

Which was worst?
I don't know that I liked Deluge or Death of a Comedian very much.

Did any make you cry?
The Merchant of Venice did. The others I think didn't.

Did any make you laugh?
Definitely Romeo and Juliet, Everyman, and Ah, Wilderness!.

Which roles would you like to play in any of them?
I honestly couldn't say at this point.

Which one did you have best seats for?
I had front row centre for Score, and pretty good seats for The Picture of Dorian Gray, The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas, and Death of a Comedian. I picked a seat for Deluge that was in the front row but mostly stayed dry, and I managed decent enough standing spots for Romeo and Juliet and The Merchant of Venice.

No comments:

Post a Comment