Monday 25 May 2015

Last 10 things seen at the theatre: #075

6th to 23rd May.


List the last 10 things you saw at the theatre in order:
1. Carmen Disruption (Almeida)
2. Death of a Salesman (Noël Coward)
3. Anything Goes (Wycombe Swan)
4. Henry the Fifth (Unicorn)
5. Mermaid (Watford Palace)
6. A Mad World My Masters (Barbican)
7. Carmen Disruption (Almeida)
8. Shock Treatment (King's Head Theatre)
9. The Vote (Donmar Warehouse)
10. Sunny Afternoon (Harold Pinter)

Who was the best performer in number one (Carmen Disruption)?
Oh gosh, choosing just one? I don't know that I can, I found the whole thing peculiarly overwhelming and I couldn't even pick a weak link, let alone one who shone over the others.

Why did you go to see number two (Death of a Salesman)?
I was pretty confident it would transfer to the West End so I didn't bother even thinking about booking it in Stratford. And I'd never seen it before so figured I really should stand by my word and book it when it arrived in London.

Can you remember a line/lyric from number three (Anything Goes) that you liked?
"We took an unpremeditated romp in the rice. I enjoyed it very much."

What would you give number four (Henry the Fifth) out of ten?
I think I'll give it an 8, it was delightful. You wouldn't think an hour-long rewrite of Henry V would effectively cover the sidelining of women in history, but it managed it beautifully, and I especially liked the way that Henry himself looked like an honest-to-goodness David McKee illustration.

Was there someone hot in number five (Mermaid)?
Show me a person who claims not to be attracted to Miranda Mac Letten, and I'll show you a damn liar.

What was number six (A Mad World My Masters) about?
From where I was sitting, it was about women supporting women in pursuit of their own sex lives.

Who was your favourite actor in number seven (Carmen Disruption)?
Well, if I can't choose a best, I can at least choose a favourite! ..... oh, it was a nice thought, but I can't. Sorry sorry. They were all good.

What was your favourite bit in number eight (Shock Treatment)?
I don't think I could say I had a favourite bit, the whole thing was rather peculiar.

Would you see number nine (The Vote) again?
For sure! And thanks to the magic of broadcasting theatrical productions, I did!

What was the worst thing about number ten (Sunny Afternoon)?
If, like me, you abhor a musical curtain call and your blood runs cold at the thought of a megamix, then book a seat near a door and make a run for it as soon as they finish 'Waterloo Sunset'. You would thank me for it if you knew.

Which was best?
In an unprecedented turn of events (seriously, I was all ready to quit Simon Stephens all together if I didn't like this one), Carmen Disruption!

Which was worst?

Did any make you cry?
Definitely Carmen Disruption, probably none of the others.

Did any make you laugh?
Anything Goes, A Mad World My Masters, and... yeah, probably Carmen Disruption.

Which roles would you like to play in any of them?
It would have been fun to be part of The Vote.

Which one did you have best seats for?
A Mad World My Masters, for sure. Occasionally I will splash out for a real seat.

No comments:

Post a Comment