Saturday 13 June 2015

Last 10 things seen at the theatre: #076

23rd May to 13th June.


List the last 10 things you saw at the theatre in order:
1. Oresteia (Almeida)
2. The Woman in Black (Wycombe Swan)
3. One Arm (Southwark Playhouse)
4. King John (Shakespeare's Globe)
5. Waiting for Godot (Barbican)
6. Not I/Footfalls/Rockaby (Barbican)
7. Light Shining in Buckinghamshire (National; Lyttelton)
8. Temple (Donmar Warehouse)
9. Luck of the Draw (Duke Street Theatre)
10. Sunspots (Hampstead Theatre)

Who was the best performer in number one (Oresteia)?
I had completely forgotten who was even in this play, so I had a DELIGHTFUL afternoon of surprises as all came clear. So it's sort of hard to choose. Except it's not, because Lia Williams.

Why did you go to see number two (The Woman in Black)?
My niece wanted someone to accompany her, and I adore the play and haven't seen it for a while so was very willing to acquiesce.

Can you remember a line/lyric from number three (One Arm) that you liked?
There was one line about it being "hot in the cooler, and it'll get hotter before it gets cooler", but although I enjoyed it a great deal, I wouldn't say it's among the most lyrical Tennessee Williams I've seen.

What would you give number four (King John) out of ten?
10! Okay, I did find the second half wilting a little in comparison with the jam-packed first half, but considering I spent most of the first half desperate for the interval to come so I could book a return visit, it would be disingenuous to mark it any lower.

Was there someone hot in number five (Waiting for Godot)?
Oh, that's surprisingly complicated. There are attractive men in it, but they're not attractive in it. Sooo... no?

What was number six (Not I/Footfalls/Rockaby) about?
Seeing how little light you could get away with using before the audience's eyes go squiffy forever. I'm just about recovered.

Who was your favourite actor in number seven (Light Shining in Buckinghamshire)?
Oh it's so hard to say! There were so many wonderful people in it! Would you judge me too harshly if I just didn't answer at all?

What was your favourite bit in number eight (Temple)?
Any bit that involved delightful facial expressions from Simon Russell Beale, which was probably all of it. I did find the scene immediately following the musical interlude near the end terribly moving too.

Would you see number nine (Luck of the Draw) again?
I believe that this was expanded out from a one-act play. I'd give the one-act version a shot but I don't know that it really needed to be dragged out to two halves.

What was the worst thing about number ten (Sunspots)?
It was a delightful piece but when it had something to say, it went on about it a bit more than maybe it possibly needed to.

Which was best?
Either Oresteia or King John.

Which was worst?

Did any make you cry?
DEFINITELY Oresteia. And definitely The Woman in Black. And definitely Temple.

Did any make you laugh?
Mostly just King John to be honest.

Which roles would you like to play in any of them?
King John has some cracking roles for ladies and I find it a very underrated play generally. I'd love to be in The Woman in Black but I wouldn't really be appropriate casting for it.

Which one did you have best seats for?
I was able to slide sideways from a decent restricted view seat to a properly good seat for Oresteia, and we had a terrific standing space for King John. I got front row centre for One Arm, but that ended up being more a distraction than a boon. I think I managed front row centre for Sunspots too.

No comments:

Post a Comment