Sunday 19 February 2017

Last 10 things seen at the theatre: #103

21st January to 11th February.


List the last 10 things you saw at the theatre in order:
1. Silver Lining (Rose Kingston)
2. Hedda Gabler (National; Lyttelton)
3. Dirty Great Love Story (Arts Theatre)
4. The Iron Man (Unicorn Theatre)
5. Sex with Strangers (Hampstead)
6. Experience (Hampstead)
7. The Pitchfork Disney (Shoreditch Town Hall)
8. Pride and Prejudice (Wycombe Swan)
9. Us/Them (National; Dorfman)
10. Mary Stuart (Almeida)

Who was the best performer in number one (Silver Lining)?
Mostly Maggie McCarthy but bonus points for Amanda Walker.

Why did you go to see number two (Hedda Gabler)?
I like going to the National, I appreciate opportunities to see Ruth Wilson work, and sometimes Ivo van Hove does EXCELLENT things. Plus there was a front row cheap seat available so I nabbed it.

Can you remember a line/lyric from number three (Dirty Great Love Story) that you liked?
Nah. A lot of it was charming, some was funny, some was moving, but none of it is still in my head.

What would you give number four (The Iron Man) out of ten?
The opening sequence alone I would love to give a 10, but I feel it then settled down to more of a 7 overall.

Was there someone hot in number five (Sex with Strangers)?
Look, I get that Theo James is objectively very handsome, but I used to be in shows with him when we were kids (there were hundreds of us, this is not intended as an impressive brag) so the whole idea is just a little bit weird to me. Still, I'm pleased to see at least one of us is doing well.

What was number six (Experience) about?
Non-traditional methods of therapy, and complicated feelings of attachment.

Who was your favourite actor in number seven (The Pitchfork Disney)?
Tom Rhys Harries really owned the production, though shout-out to Spooky for really livening up a teeny-tiny moment and making it eternally memorable.

What was your favourite bit in number eight (Pride and Prejudice)?
I didn't have a favourite bit, guys. It was a perfectly enjoyable production of a deservedly perennial piece, but I just enjoy Tumblr discourse on issues of consent and feminism in the works of Jane Austen SO MUCH MORE. (Also The Lizzie Bennet Diaries. NOTHING will ever better The Lizzie Bennet Diaries.)

Would you see number nine (Us/Them) again?
Maybe? I don't so much wish I could see it again as rather I wish I could have seen it the first time without such a disruptive audience.

What was the worst thing about number ten (Mary Stuart)?
I enjoyed it a great deal, so I suppose the worst thing was that I was organised enough to book it when it first went on sale, and thereby missed the opportunity to see Joshua James take over a role for the week's extension.

Which was best?
Hmmm. The Pitchfork Disney. I also got a lot out of Hedda Gabler.

Which was worst?

Did any make you cry?
Silver LiningDirty Great Love Story, and... oh. No, just those two.

Did any make you laugh?
Not an amount that is worthy of listing.

Which roles would you like to play in any of them?
NONE OF THEM but I would like an Iron Man puppet to hang from my bedroom ceiling.

Which one did you have best seats for?
Most notable seat was for The Pitchfork Disney, which wasn't performed in a space where any of the seats could be considered good, but which gave a unique perspective on proceedings with which I was extremely happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment