Sunday 5 March 2017

Last 10 things seen at the theatre: #104

11th February to 4th March.


List the last 10 things you saw at the theatre in order:
1. Scarlett (Hampstead Downstairs)
2. Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? (Harold Pinter)
3. Grounded (Gate Theatre)
4. Speech and Debate (Trafalgar Studio 2)
5. Killer (Shoreditch Town Hall)
6. The White Devil (Sam Wanamaker Playhouse)
7. The Glass Menagerie (Duke of York's)
8. Hans Christian, You Must Be an Angel (Southbank Centre)
9. Four Weddings and a Funeral (Hampstead Theatre)
10. See Me Now (Young Vic)

Who was the best performer in number one (Scarlett)?
I think I want to give this one to Gaby French, though I don't know that the writing really allowed any of the cast to shine as much as I suspect they could.

Why did you go to see number two (Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?)?
£10 ticket. I'll see anything for £10.

Can you remember a line/lyric from number three (Grounded) that you liked?
Not so much. There were a lot of very good lines indeed but I don't remember any clearly enough to share.

What would you give number four (Speech and Debate) out of ten?
8 I reckon. The writing was quite slight and I'm not sure what it was trying to do, but for Patsy Ferran alone it definitely gets an 8.

Was there someone hot in number five (Killer)?
What, the play performed via headphones almost completely in the dark, offering only the briefest of glimpses of the sole performer at the beginning and at the end? Pass.

What was number six (The White Devil) about?
I have seen the play before, more than once, so you'd think I'd be okay with this one. But I couldn't remember, and I couldn't work it out, and I wasn't sure why I was supposed to care, and I'd been having such a lovely day up until this point that I decided to just cut my losses at the interval and go buy some books at the National Theatre bookshop.

Who was your favourite actor in number seven (The Glass Menagerie)?
All four of them were superb, but as I always have a deep resounding connection with the plain girl who secretly dreams of being loved, Kate O'Flynn pips the others to the post here.

What was your favourite bit in number eight (Hans Christian, You Must Be an Angel)?
Probably the Little Mermaid, but it's erm... it's not really a clear-cut easily-divisible play. Or even a play, really. I don't really know what it was other than quietly but extremely beautiful.

Would you see number nine (Four Weddings and a Funeral) again?
I mean it was only a reading of the film script but it was such a well cast reading that I would definitely go again in a heartbeat. Frankly John Heffernan reading 'Funeral Blues' was worth the admission on its own.

What was the worst thing about number ten (See Me Now)?
There was one sequence where the cast were all walking quickly in various directions, shouting buzzwords and throwing condoms around, and I mentally took a step backward and wondered just what theatre even WAS and when it became such a cliché of itself. It was only a short sequence though, and the rest of the show was very good indeed.

Which was best?
The Glass Menagerie, easily.

Which was worst?
I think if you leave a show at the interval (and not for health-related reasons) then it counts, so The White Devil.

Did any make you cry?
I think just The Glass Menagerie?

Did any make you laugh?
Definitely Speech and Debate.

Which roles would you like to play in any of them?
I'm going through my annual phase of feeling like the hobby I love actually hates me so maybe I should just throw it all in and take up roller derby, but then I suppose there is always room in my heart for Laura Wingfield.

Which one did you have best seats for?
Scarlett and See Me Now. I was pleased with my seat for Grounded until someone decided that she was going to squeeze four people into a space for three people and I had to be shoved along the bench (not asked politely, just shoved), so although I was still in a great spot I spent most of the play consumed by the sheer arrogance of some people when it comes to non-reserved seating. I HATE non-reserved seating.

No comments:

Post a Comment