Sunday 16 July 2017

Last 10 things seen at the theatre: #110

1st to 15th July.


List the last 10 things you saw at the theatre in order:
1. Gloria (Hampstead Upstairs)
2. The Public Administration and Constitutional Affairs Committee takes Oral Evidence on Whitehall's Relationship with Kids Company (Donmar Warehouse)
3. Death of a Salesman (Oxford Playhouse)
4. The Wedding Singer (Wycombe Swan)
5. Tristan and Yseult (Bristol Old Vic)
6. Romeo and Juliet (Shakespeare's Globe)
7. Double Double Act (Unicorn Theatre)
8. Anatomy of a Suicide (Royal Court)
9. Bat Out of Hell (Coliseum)
10. Becoming: Part One (Donmar Dryden Street)

Who was the best performer in number one (Gloria)?
Kae Alexander.

Why did you go to see number two (The Public Administration and Constitutional Affairs Committee takes Oral Evidence on Whitehall's Relationship with Kids Company)?
Force of habit. Booking everything at the Donmar doesn't have to be expensive, so I continue to do so.

Can you remember a line/lyric from number three (Death of a Salesman) that you liked?
"Once in my life I would like to own something outright before it's broken! I'm always in a race with the junkyard! I just finished paying for the car and it's on its last legs. The refrigerator consumes belts like a goddam maniac. They time those things. They time them so when you finally paid for them, they're used up." It's nice to know planned obsolescence was just as much of an aggravation in 1949 as it is in 2017.

What would you give number four (The Wedding Singer) out of ten?
8.5! It was great!

Was there someone hot in number five (Tristan and Yseult)?
It was a little tricky to see faces what with all the balaclavas, but I'll happily throw a point in the direction of Kyle Lima.

What was number six (Romeo and Juliet) about?
A pair of sweet babies in matching Hallowe'en costumes and their mutual inability to stay alive.

Who was your favourite actor in number seven (Double Double Act)?
I think Nayana Crowe wins this one for me (I'm a little too suspicious that Seb Booth may have been cloned in a lab rather than cast via conventional methods).

What was your favourite bit in number eight (Anatomy of a Suicide)?
I liked the rabbit. I don't get what's going on with the Royal Court and rabbits this year but I'm very much in favour of it. I don't know that I really had a favourite bit though, it just got less and less engaging the longer it went on but I'm not willing to commit to "the beginning, before it started to get less and less engaging the longer it went on" as a favourite bit. So I'll stick with the rabbit.

Would you see number nine (Bat Out of Hell) again?
It's the very worst show I've ever seen in my life and I would not pay money to see it again. Also it's the very best show I've ever seen in my life and if you get freebies at any point then please consider me for your +1. (Also I probably would pay money to see it again. Maybe I'll look at August dates...)

What was the worst thing about number ten (Becoming: Part One)?
Having to get up early on a Saturday morning to get there in time. Although to be honest, that was completely mitigated by being given free tea and cake on arrival, and also the audience were extremely charming and well-behaved (if a little distracting), something I will be bringing up in future age-based arguments about poorly behaved audiences.

Which was best?
Bat Out of Hell.

Which was worst?
Bat Out of Hell.

Did any make you cry?
The Wedding Singer got me.

Did any make you laugh?
Probably most of them.

Which roles would you like to play in any of them?
I don't realistically see myself in any of them, except standing by my firm assertion that I would be a GREAT Romeo.

Which one did you have best seats for?
My seat for The Wedding Singer would have been better without the women behind me having loud conversations about Hi-De-Hi every few scenes. It's hard to think of any other seat that was better though.

No comments:

Post a Comment