Thursday 24 May 2018

Last 10 things seen at the theatre: #123

28th April to 18th May.


List the last 10 things you saw at the theatre in order:
1. John Finnemore's Flying Visit (Wycombe Swan)
2. The Memory of Water (Drake Hall)
3. Nightfall (Bridge Theatre)
4. Macbeth (National; Olivier)
5. An Officer and a Gentleman (Wycombe Swan)
6. Othello (Liverpool Everyman)
7. The Prudes (Royal Court Upstairs)
8. Much Ado About Nothing (Rose Theatre Kingston)
9. The Phlebotomist (Hampstead Downstairs)
10. The Way of the World (Donmar)

Who was the best performer in number one (John Finnemore's Flying Visit)?
I've done a quick poll of the family and the most votes were received by Simon Kane and Carrie Quinlan. I do also want to give a serious shout-out to Margaret Cabourn-Smith, and at this point we might as well give a shout-out to John Finnemore and Lawry Lewin too because frankly this is one of the under-ratedly great comedy troupes of our time.

Why did you go to see number two (The Memory of Water)?
Local production, actual friends. Also it's always nice to see plays by women, whether pro or am.

Can you remember a line/lyric from number three (Nightfall) that you liked?
Not a one, I'm afraid.

What would you give number four (Macbeth) out of ten?
6, actually. I know it's not gone down well on a wider scale, but I enjoyed it more than I've enjoyed other Macbeths (possibly it helped that we had an understudy situation and I got to see Nicholas Karimi in the title role).

Was there someone hot in number five (An Officer and a Gentleman)?
There were biceps and abs all over that stage.

What was number six (Othello) about?
This time? It was about LESBIANS. Along with all the usual nonsense.

Who was your favourite actor in number seven (The Prudes)?
I don't generally like to pick a favourite when a cast is so small, but I will when one of them is Sophie Russell.

What was your favourite bit in number eight (Much Ado About Nothing)?
I quite liked Benedick confronting Claudio, you could really see the conflict in Benedick's every movement.

Would you see number nine (The Phlebotomist) again?
Hmmm... tricky. It was very good, and it's always great to see Future Dame Jade Anouka at work,  but it wasn't exactly an easy watch? I'd definitely recommend it to others, but I maybe wouldn't rush for a return trip.

What was the worst thing about number ten (The Way of the World)?
Well obviously the very worst thing was not being able to see the original cast of this production. Alex Beckett is a sad sad loss for the theatre world and my thoughts are with his family and loved ones.

Which was best?
Is it sad for theatre if I go for the sketch comedy based on a radio show? Because John Finnemore's Flying Visit, no matter how sad for theatre that choice may be.

Which was worst?

Did any make you cry?
I don't think any of them did.

Did any make you laugh?
DEFINITELY John Finnemore's Flying Visit!

Which roles would you like to play in any of them?
I need to play Beatrice, I'd be an amazing Benedick, and I think that's it.

Which one did you have best seats for?
John Finnemore's Flying Visit! Front row centre is always a treat, even if you end up being picked on for some minor audience interaction and have to make happy dog noises in front of an audience of 868.

No comments:

Post a Comment