Sunday 8 July 2018

Last 10 things seen at the theatre: #124

25th May to 30th June.


List the last 10 things you saw at the theatre in order:
1. The King and I (Palladium)
2. A 24 Decade History of Popular Music: 1776 - 1806 (Barbican)
3. Sea Wall (Old Vic)
4. My Name is Lucy Barton (Bridge Theatre)
5. The Strange Death of John Doe (Hampstead Downstairs)
6. Julie (National; Lyttelton)
7. Two Noble Kinsmen (Shakespeare's Globe)
8. Fatherland (Lyric Hammersmith)
9. The Writer (Almeida)
10. Translations (National; Olivier)

Who was the best performer in number one (The King and I)?
See, we don't *do* entrance applause in the UK, we're just waaay too cool for that. What we do instead, apparently, is burst into tears when Future Honorary Dame Kelli O'Hara first appears. Worth the goddamned WAIT though.

Why did you go to see number two (A 24 Decade History of Popular Music: 1776 - 1806)?
I was intrigued. I'd heard conflicting word of mouth from the US so I thought I'd like to find out for myself.

Can you remember a line/lyric from number three (Sea Wall) that you liked?
Not in any detail. There was one about cardigans that was particularly sweet. But I think everyone who's seen Sea Wall can agree that the most memorable bit was when there weren't any lines.

What would you give number four (My Name is Lucy Barton) out of ten?
Hmmm. 7? Obviously Laura Linney was great, I'm just not sure that the book was crying out to be a play.

Was there someone hot in number five (The Strange Death of John Doe)?
Not for me, thanks.

What was number six (Julie) about?
A broken woman who should be getting proper mental health care rather than everyone enabling her poor life choices because of the shallowness of being rich. Or something.

Who was your favourite actor in number seven (Two Noble Kinsmen)?
I've somehow never encountered Jos Vantyler before, but he was a delightful scene-stealer so I would certainly go at least a little out of my way to encounter him again.

What was your favourite bit in number eight (Fatherland)?
Look, I really enjoyed Fatherland and came out feeling incredibly sentimental, but I've been struggling with this question for well over a week now so I'm just going to have to say I didn't have one and move on.

Would you see number nine (The Writer) again?
Nooo. Once was fine.

What was the worst thing about number ten (Translations)?
I don't know that all of the actors were on the same level, so although the writing was as glorious as ever, some bits fell a little flatter than others. If you've got Aoife Duffin in the cast, particularly if she's in a supporting role, then that's really your baseline and the entire cast needs to be at least as good as she is, and that's a pretty tall ask, 'cos she's GREAT.

Which was best?
I don't mean to be tedious or harp on about the past, but Sea Wall really is a beautiful piece and I'm so sad that New York won't be able to see it with Andrew Scott.

Which was worst?

Did any make you cry?
The King and I, because I'm SUPER cool, Sea Wall, and Translations.

Did any make you laugh?
A 24 Decade History of Popular Music: 1776 - 1806 was often hilarious, as was Two Noble Kinsmen.

Which roles would you like to play in any of them?
ANNA LEONOWENS though I appreciate The King and I is utterly problematic and almost certainly should be widely avoided by our local amdram groups.

Which one did you have best seats for?
Sea Wall and The Writer were both technically restricted view but in practice absolutely fine, and our standing spot for Two Noble Kinsmen was terrific.

No comments:

Post a Comment