Friday 3 May 2019

Last 10 things seen at the theatre: #137

23rd March to 20th April.


List the last 10 things you saw at the theatre in order:
1. Downstate (National; Dorfman)
2. Grief is the Thing with Feathers (Barbican)
3. Little Miss Sunshine (Arcola)
4. Ghost Stories (Lyric Hammersmith)
5. Top Girls (National; Lyttelton)
6. Alys Always (Bridge Theatre)
7. Wolfie (Theatre503)
8. Kiss Me Kate (Curzon Centre)
9. Wilderness (Hampstead Downstairs)
10. Romeo and Juliet (Shakespeare's Globe)

Who was the best performer in number one (Downstate)?
Oh no oh no they were all really good. Um... K Todd Freeman, probably.

Why did you go to see number two (Grief is the Thing with Feathers)?
I sort of lost patience with Enda Walsh all together after Lazarus, but apparently his previous collaborations with Cillian Murphy carried over just enough goodwill for me to give this one a go. I also really love crows.

Can you remember a line/lyric from number three (Little Miss Sunshine) that you liked?
I can unfortunately only really remember one lyric, and I wouldn't say I liked it so much as it was just a REALLY catchy song quite near the end of the show, so of course it lingered on. I'm thinking about seeing this again when it goes on tour though, so maybe something I like will actually stick if I do.

What would you give number four (Ghost Stories) out of ten?
Ahhh, I'm not comfortable doing this. I've been a proponent of the play since its first outing and I still love it, but the older I get, the harder I find it to ignore its flaws. Also I bought the playtext which has finally been published, and certain assertions made in the introduction really rubbed me the wrong way.

Was there someone hot in number five (Top Girls)?
Katherine Kingsley is generally the hottest person in any show she's in tbh.

What was number six (Alys Always) about?
It's been a few weeks since I've seen it and I think it says a lot about the play that although I was engaged while I was watching it, I could no longer tell you what it was about.

Who was your favourite actor in number seven (Wolfie)?
Erin Doherty. And Sophie Melville.

What was your favourite bit in number eight (Kiss Me Kate)?
I hated how much I loved the gangster double-act with the catchiest song in the whole damn show.

Would you see number nine (Wilderness) again?
Nooo. It was interesting but there was a little too much that didn't really work for me.

What was the worst thing about number ten (Romeo and Juliet)?
I don't think there was anything really. Not that I remember.

Which was best?
I'm so annoyed that it was easily Downstate.

Which was worst?

Did any make you cry?
I think Little Miss Sunshine did a bit.

Did any make you laugh?
Again, Little Miss Sunshine. I did laugh during Ghost Stories, but it's easy to laugh when you know what's about to happen and the people sat near you are jumping out of their skin, and it's not quite the same thing as laughing at the show.

Which roles would you like to play in any of them?
I don't know if I'm super up for any of them. Except I would absolutely make an awesome Romeo.

Which one did you have best seats for?
Oh gosh, I had front row centre for six of them and that was great for them all. Couldn't possibly single one out.

No comments:

Post a Comment