Sunday 2 June 2019

Last 10 things seen at the theatre: #138

20th April to 25th May.


List the last 10 things you saw at the theatre in order:
1. Fiddler On The Roof (Playhouse)
2. Hamilton (Victoria Palace)
3. White Pearl (Royal Court Downstairs)
4. Death Of A Salesman (Young Vic)
5. Equus (Yvonne Arnaud)
6. The Half God Of Rainfall (Kiln)
7. Rosmersholm (Duke of York's)
8. Sweet Charity (Donmar Warehouse)
9. All My Sons (Old Vic)
10. A German Life (Bridge Theatre)

Who was the best performer in number one (Fiddler On The Roof)?
Oh this is going to sound very very weird but whoever the musical director was. I've been in Fiddler twice and I've seen it several times more, but I've never encountered a production that made such careful use of dynamics in the singing before, it made an incredible difference to the way some of the songs come across.

Why did you go to see number two (Hamilton)?
I wanted to see Karl Queensborough in the title role. He was great.

Can you remember a line/lyric from number three (White Pearl) that you liked?
Nope. Really enjoyed it but didn't pick up a playtext and have no memory for dialogue unless I'm going out of my way to memorise it.

What would you give number four (Death Of A Salesman) out of ten?
A solid 9, it was just a little too long to get the full 10 but there was SO much to love about it.

Was there someone hot in number five (Equus)?
Do you really think I'd've booked the day off work and driven down to Guildford if they'd cast anyone other than Ira Mandela Siobhan as the horse?

What was number six (The Half God Of Rainfall) about?
Smashing the patriarchy, one mythical avatar of toxic masculinity at a time.

Who was your favourite actor in number seven (Rosmersholm)?
No prizes for guessing Hayley Atwell.

What was your favourite bit in number eight (Sweet Charity)?
I don't think I had a favourite bit, but I did think it was a great production and Anne-Marie Duff did really well.

Would you see number nine (All My Sons) again?
I scarcely wanted to see it this time. Nothing against the production or the performers, all of which were top-notch, but I'm not exactly over-invested in MillerFest '19.

What was the worst thing about number ten (A German Life)?
I liked what they did with the set, but honestly, that's a lot of seats they chose not to sell in the name of a single effect that most of the audience wouldn't even have noticed.

Which was best?
I liked Equus most, I think, though The Half God Of Rainfall came at exactly the right time for me.

Which was worst?

Did any make you cry?
Fiddler On The Roof, Hamilton, and The Half God Of Rainfall.

Did any make you laugh?
Um, this wasn't exactly a lightweight bunch.....

Which roles would you like to play in any of them?
I have played Tzeitel in Fiddler On The Roof, and it was nice, but I am READY to play Fruma Sarah.

Which one did you have best seats for?
Equus. I got a lot of decent bargains, but very much of the "I only paid a small sum, I was lucky my view was as good as it was" variety, rather than the "HOW is this seat ONLY this much money?!" sort. Whereas for Equus I paid full whack for a regional midweek matinee and got front row centre.

No comments:

Post a Comment