Sunday 23 September 2012

Last 10 things seen at the theatre: #024

28th July to 19th August.


List the last 10 things you saw at the theatre in order:
1. London Road (National; Olivier)
2. You Me Bum Bum Train (Empire House)
3. Philadelphia, Here I Come! (Donmar Warehouse)
4. Horrible Histories: Barmy Britain (Garrick)
5. Timon of Athens (National; Olivier)
6. The Taming of the Shrew (Shakespeare's Globe)
7. The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time (National; Cottesloe)
8. Rock of Ages (Shaftesbury)
9. Much Ado About Nothing (Courtyard)
10. The Tempest (Royal Shakespeare Theatre)

Who was the best performer in number one (London Road)?
It's such a solid ensemble piece that I really can't choose one. It's a wussy answer but true.

Why did you go to see number two (You Me Bum Bum Train)?
The production swears audiences to secrecy, so it has been pretty much impossible to glean details of what actually goes on. Therefore when booking opened for another run, there was no way I was missing out! And if anyone would like to know about my experience, just ask me about it next time you see me.

Can you remember a line/lyric from number three (Philadelphia, Here I Come!) that you liked?
Sorry, no. I loved the structure and I do own the playtext but some plays just don't divide down into neat little chunks of memorable dialogue like others do.

What would you give number four (Horrible Histories: Barmy Britain) out of ten?
Erm... seven? Lots of energy, very informative, though really I could have done without being reminded of Amelia Dyer so early in the morning.

Was there someone hot in number five (Timon of Athens)?
I don't know what they put in the water at the Dockery household, but Jo is just as delicious as her sister.

What was number six (The Taming of the Shrew) about?
JOY. JOYOUSNESS, GLORIOUSNESS, and confusing the furious feminism that resides within my breast like WOAH.

Who was your favourite actor in number seven (The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time)?
Una Stubbs. Pretty much a given for anything that has Una Stubbs in it though.

What was your favourite bit in number eight (Rock of Ages)?
Any bit where Simon Lipkin got to run riot. Which did actually seem to be the bulk of the show, so it was an excellent idea.

Would you see number nine (Much Ado About Nothing) again?
Probably not. It was an ace production with lots of energy and beautiful colours and interesting ideas, but good heavens it was LONG and I've seen other productions I loved more.

What was the worst thing about number ten (The Tempest)?
The first half was completely tedious, though that is largely the fault of the playwright. As a piece of long poetry, The Tempest is glorious. As a play, it is terribly paced and bizarrely flawed.

Which was best?
I don't know how they did it, but The Taming of the Shrew.

Which was worst?
Probably either Horrible Histories or The Tempest, but this really is a mean question when you've not seen any real stinkers lately.

Did any make you cry?
I think The Taming of the Shrew did. Mostly with laughter, but I did find it surprisingly moving in other ways too.

Did any make you laugh?
They all did. Even The Tempest.

Which roles would you like to play in any of them?
I would do all manner of things to be able to play Beatrice in Much Ado. Or, indeed, Benedick. (I'd make an AWESOME Benedick.) I'm also coming round to the idea of possibly performing in The Taming of the Shrew one day, but it would depend on director and fellow cast.

Which one did you have best seats for?
London Road. I've had some excellent seats at the National this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment