Sunday 23 September 2012

Last 10 things seen at the theatre: #025

24th August to 7th September.


List the last 10 things you saw at the theatre in order:
1. As You Like It (Shakespeare's Globe)
2. A Midsummer Night's Dream (Open Air Theatre)
3. King Lear (Almeida)
4. Julius Caesar (Noel Coward)
5. Sweeney Todd (Adelphi)
6. Hamlet (Shakespeare's Globe)
7. Henry V (Shakespeare's Globe)
8. Richard III (Swan)
9. King John (Swan)
10. Beauty and the Beast (Wycombe Swan)

Who was the best performer in number one (As You Like It)?
I cannot possibly go against the herd when the clear answer is the excellent Emma Pallant.

Why did you go to see number two (A Midsummer Night's Dream)?
I have a crippling Shakespeare addiction to feed.

Can you remember a line/lyric from number three (King Lear) that you liked?
Yes. I'll spare you my repeating it again. Lear always makes me so sad.

What would you give number four (Julius Caesar) out of ten?
Eight. I really liked it, though I feel it would have been even better had it whizzed straight through without an interval.

Was there someone hot in number five (Sweeney Todd)?
Not for me, thank you.

What was number six (Hamlet) about?
Some whiny Danish kid who needs to cut the apron strings already.

Who was your favourite actor in number seven (Henry V)?
It's not that this production was ALL ABOUT Captain Gower, but this production was ALL ABOUT Captain Gower. My initial sorrow that Beruce Khan had returned to his original plot was overcome by the sheer joy at seeing what Matthew Flynn brought to the role. Captain Gower is AWESOME.

What was your favourite bit in number eight (Richard III)?
The scene where Richard feigns modesty and devoutness so the people will ask him to be king. I've never seen it played so overtly funny before, but I did enjoy it a lot.

Would you see number nine (King John) again?
In a heartbeat. It's been a good year for King Johns!

What was the worst thing about number ten (Beauty and the Beast)?
That I was too old to take part myself. The best thing about local youth theatre productions is always taking part, and the worst part is always outgrowing them.

Which was best?
Probably Sweeney Todd, though there were a lot of solid Shakespeares in this bunch.

Which was worst?
I'm just not going to answer this time. I don't want to, and you can't make me.

Did any make you cry?
I may or may not have been a little emotionally overwrought by King Lear. I can't help it, I have all the Gloucester feelings and all the Clive Wood feelings, so casting Clive Wood as Gloucester was always going to have me in trouble.

Did any make you laugh?
I definitely laughed at As You Like It, A Midsummer Night's Dream, Sweeney Todd, Hamlet, Henry V, Richard III, and King John. I probably laughed at the others too, though I easily laughed the most at As You Like It.

Which roles would you like to play in any of them?
Deep breath... Rosalind, Celia, Phebe, Helena, Regan, Mrs Lovett, Johanna, Margaret, Anne, Elizabeth, Eleanor, and erm... well, Belle.

Which one did you have best seats for?
Either A Midsummer Night's Dream or King Lear. Neither seat perfect, but both suited my personal preferences very nicely.

1 comment:

  1. I love your blogs. That sounds more like a euphemism than I intended, but never mind. Really glad you do this, much more interesting than a regular review (especially since we seem to have similar taste and I've seen most of the same things as you!)

    ReplyDelete