Sunday 25 September 2016

Last 10 things seen at the theatre: #097

3rd to 23rd September.


List the last 10 things you saw at the theatre in order:
1. A Tale of Two Cities (Oxford Playhouse)
2. Groundhog Day (Old Vic)
3. The Inn at Lydda (Sam Wanamaker Playhouse)
4. They Drink It In the Congo (Almeida)
5. Groundhog Day (Old Vic)
6. Into the Woods (Menier Chocolate Factory)
7. Groundhog Day (Old Vic)
8. Labyrinth (Hampstead)
9. Bugsy Malone (Lyric Hammersmith)
10. Yerma (Young Vic)

Who was the best performer in number one (A Tale of Two Cities)?
Probably lovely lovely Patrick Romer.

Why did you go to see number two (Groundhog Day)?
I saw it. I liked it. I got a bee in my bonnet about wanting to see it again. I got SUPER lucky with a return ticket online on a night when I could go. And then I wanted to see it more, so when the extra final performance went on sale and a reasonably priced ticket (EVENTUALLY) fell into my basket, there was no way I was going to miss out.

Can you remember a line/lyric from number three (The Inn at Lydda) that you liked?
Look, I'm just saying, if you want the audience to be able to remember any of the dialogue, then maybe you should dress the most attractive cast member in something a little more substantial than, like, a sheet. (Or, y'know, write some dialogue worth remembering YEAH I WENT THERE.)

What would you give number four (They Drink It In the Congo) out of ten?
Pffft. 7? I enjoyed it well enough while it was happening but I don't entirely know what it ultimately wanted to achieve.

Was there someone hot in number five (Groundhog Day)?
... oh. Right, okay, I get that this looks like some humorous gag riffing off the premise of Groundhog Day but I promise I really did see it several times in quick succession. Anyway, Andy Karl, for sure. Bless the designer for having him walk around in t-shirt and boxers for several periods.

What was number six (Into the Woods) about?
What comes after the happily ever after. Like you didn't know that already.

Who was your favourite actor in number seven (Groundhog Day)?
NO, ONCE AGAIN, IT'S NOT AN APPROPRIATELY THEMED JOKE, IT'S JUST WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU COME TO A SHOW LATE BUT WANT TO SEE IT LOTS. And you called it, it's Andy Karl again. I can't imagine the show working even half as well with one of the current crop of West End leading men in the role, he's right up there with Daveed Diggs and Anthony Boyle as one of the performances of the year so far.

What was your favourite bit in number eight (Labyrinth)?
There was a bit about halfway through where all the stage lights went out and the auditorium lights went on and we all had a bit of a wander round and a leg stretch while the actors hid somewhere, that was pretty good. I mean, not that there was anything strictly wrong with the play, but I REALLY need to STOP booking plays about bankers causing financial crises.

Would you see number nine (Bugsy Malone) again?
Nooo. For all it was charmingly produced and brilliantly performed, I have some really fundamental issues with the writing that I'm unable to get past and that nothing short of a lengthy one-to-one discussion with Alan Parker himself could resolve.

What was the worst thing about number ten (Yerma)?
CAN YOU BELIEVE THERE IS NO PLAYTEXT OF THIS VERSION AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE? I for one am appalled by this, APPALLED.

Which was best?
Sometimes a show comes along and either it's the right place and the right time for the show, or it's the right place and the right time for you, or - on rare but wonderful occasions - it's the right place and the right time for both the show and you, and you end up loving something more whole-heartedly than you ever suspected you might. Which is an extremely long-winded way of saying Groundhog Day. Yerma was jolly good too.

Which was worst?

Did any make you cry?
I got extremely emotional about Groundhog Day. It would've been difficult to remain dry-eyed at A Tale of Two Cities and Yerma too.

Did any make you laugh?
Well, Groundhog Day.

Which roles would you like to play in any of them?
No particular role sings out more than any other, I'd just like to be a part of Groundhog Day.

Which one did you have best seats for?
Labyrinth was probably the most textbook "best seat", being front row and central. Considering the circumstances, I'm amazed that my three seats for Groundhog Day were all pretty decent (and without having to drop £150!), and my seat for The Inn at Lydda was notable for the people in the row behind not returning for the second half, so I was able to sit back and use the seat behind me as a much-appreciated back-rest. I will have to see more unpopular shows from the lower gallery!

1 comment:

  1. I REALLY want to make a comment about a sweaty Groundhog here...
    But I won't.

    ReplyDelete