Monday 29 January 2018

Last 10 things seen at the theatre: #118

30th December to 27th January.


List the last 10 things you saw at the theatre in order:
1. John (National; Dorfman)
2. Rita, Sue and Bob Too (Royal Court)
3. The Birthday Party (Harold Pinter)
4. Titus Andronicus (Barbican)
5. My Mum's a Twat (Royal Court)
6. The Jungle (Young Vic)
7. Belleville (Donmar Warehouse)
8. Follies (National; Olivier)
9. Hamilton (Victoria Palace)
10. Julius Caesar (Barbican)

Who was the best performer in number one (John)?
Oh. Well, I loved Marylouise Burke, but I also loved June Watson, so this really could go either way. HEY did you know Annie Baker has gifted us a play with a 75% female cast, 66% of whom are well over 70?

Why did you go to see number two (Rita, Sue and Bob Too)?
I like going to the Royal Court and I'd never seen this play before. Then I wasn't going to see it because they thought it could be problematic. Then I was going to see it after all after a loud backlash. So here we are.

Can you remember a line/lyric from number three (The Birthday Party) that you liked?
"No society would touch you. Not even a building society."

What would you give number four (Titus Andronicus) out of ten?
7, I think. I've never seen a bad Titus, but I've also never seen a Titus I loved as much as Michael Fentiman's.

Was there someone hot in number five (My Mum's a Twat)?
There was only Patsy Ferran in the cast, you decide for yourself.

What was number six (The Jungle) about?
In the broadest sense, it was about the refugee camp outside Calais. In actual fact, it was about SO much more than that.

Who was your favourite actor in number seven (Belleville)?
Imogen Poots, I reckon. I'm delighted that she's made her way over to the stage, for it turns out she is proper good at it.

What was your favourite bit in number eight (Follies)?
Phyllis's "I thought I wasn't much - I was terrific" made my heart soar every time.

Would you see number nine (Hamilton) again?
I'm up to four times already, but I would be quite interested in seeing some different London cast members, so never say never.

What was the worst thing about number ten (Julius Caesar)?
The same thing that's the worst thing about all RSC productions - the absolute determination to not let a play come in under 3 hours.

Which was best?
Follies, but if that's cheating because it was a return trip, then The Jungle. I don't give standing ovations lightly, especially not when I've been sitting on a cushion on the floor, but goddamnit if they didn't get me.

Which was worst?

Did any make you cry?
The Jungle and Follies.

Did any make you laugh?
Mostly My Mum's a Twat if we're being honest.

Which roles would you like to play in any of them?
I don't know that I'm particularly keen to take part in Titus Andronicus or Julius Caesar but if someone were to put them on, I'd certainly have a go. Although we are soon to approach the time of year where I consider chucking it all in and taking up roller derby, so watch this space to see if I actually do it this time...

Which one did you have best seats for?
My seat for Titus Andronicus was a little too good, I'd like to be able to focus on the horror more than being close enough to count the actors' abs (though to be honest, from the state of them, I suspect I'd still have been able to manage that from the gallery). Also, as I'm not really the biggest fan of chairs, I cannot overstate how much I loved having a beanbag for My Mum's a Twat and a pile of cushions for The Jungle.

No comments:

Post a Comment