Sunday 25 February 2018

Last 10 things seen at the theatre: #119

27th January to 20th February.


List the last 10 things you saw at the theatre in order:
1. The Jungle Book (Wycombe Swan)
2. VOID (The Vaults)
3. Pinocchio (National; Lyttelton)
4. Frozen (Theatre Royal Haymarket)
5. Yous Two (Hampstead)
6. The Divide (Old Vic)
7. Crazy For You (Wycombe Swan)
8. Gundog (Royal Court)
9. The Brothers Size (Young Vic)
10. Julius Caesar (Bridge Theatre)

Who was the best performer in number one (The Jungle Book)?
I was a big fan of Dyfrig Morris's "bear daddy" Baloo.

Why did you go to see number two (VOID)?
RIFT sent me an email and it sounded interesting so as I realised I could fit it in after Pinocchio, I figured it would be worth a go.

Can you remember a line/lyric from number three (Pinocchio) that you liked?
Nope, sorry. I did like it, but the dialogue/lyrics have got away from me.

What would you give number four (Frozen) out of ten?
7? Nothing wrong with it but I don't think it's going to stick in the brain.

Was there someone hot in number five (Yous Two)?
According to the dialogue, Ali Barouti.

What was number six (The Divide) about?
One old man's attempt to write a good ol' YA dystopian narrative and, although a noble effort, unfortunately failing at maybe two really key points.

Who was your favourite actor in number seven (Crazy for You)?
Seren Sandham-Davies, easily. I love a good supporting performer who takes their teeny role and makes it shine.

What was your favourite bit in number eight (Gundog)?
I didn't really have a favourite bit, per se, but boy, Alec Secareanu can REALLY wear a jumper.

Would you see number nine (The Brothers Size) again?
Sure.

What was the worst thing about number ten (Julius Caesar)?
Before booking tickets in the Pit, I really should have considered how much I actively dislike being physically pushed around and manhandled by actors (I'm pretty sure Zachary Hart owes me a drink after one particularly intense staging change), but I figured out how best to ride the changes in the end. Otherwise I will brook very few criticisms of this production, for my dad was absolutely blown away, and honestly that was the most important thing for me.

Which was best?
Maybe not the most mind-blowing batch, but probably The Brothers Size. And in fairness, I really did enjoy The Divide apart from the aforementioned points of failure. (Want some advice on how to properly fix it, Alan? Mel Brooks has got you covered...)

Which was worst?

Did any make you cry?
I confess to getting a bit weepy at Pinocchio. The puppets were a helluva commitment for a comparatively small pay-off, but I was thoroughly moved by it.

Did any make you laugh?
I had to laugh at The Jungle Book, there was a monkey sitting on my lap and I always feel it's my responsibility as audience member to make sure the actors don't feel like douches when I'm picked on for a bit of audience participation. There were also many funny lines though.

Which roles would you like to play in any of them?
Right now I am so tired from constant rehearsals that I cannot currently conceive of wanting to play any role in any show for the foreseeable future.

Which one did you have best seats for?
The Jungle Book, even with aforementioned monkey.

No comments:

Post a Comment