Friday 31 August 2018

Last 10 things seen at the theatre: #127

4th to 31st August.


List the last 10 things you saw at the theatre in order:
1. The Humans (Hampstead Upstairs)
2. Pericles (National; Olivier)
3. The One (Soho Theatre)
4. Emilia (Shakespeare's Globe)
5. Things of Dry Hours (Young Vic)
6. The Winter's Tale (Shakespeare's Globe)
7. Home, I'm Darling (National; Dorfman)
8. Translations (National; Olivier)
9. Dreamgirls (Savoy)
10. Allelujah! (Bridge Theatre)

Who was the best performer in number one (The Humans)?
I thought they were all very good, not worth stressing about trying to single out one of the six.

Why did you go to see number two (Pericles)?
I'm not entirely sure, though I am grateful for my decision. I can only assume I saw that all the tickets were £15 and thought I might as well, especially as I only had one Pericles before this one.

Can you remember a line/lyric from number three (The One) that you liked?
Nah, I didn't really think the script was anything to write home about.

What would you give number four (Emilia) out of ten?
8.5? I came out absolutely wanting to burn everything to the ground (in a positive way) but at the same time it could have stood to lose an easy 20-30 minutes from the first half.

Was there someone hot in number five (Things of Dry Hours)?
Nah. I mean, maybe, for other people, but not for me.

What was number six (The Winter's Tale) about?
Oh, you know, the usual. Family trauma, betrayal, redemption, and bears. Well, this one was a bit less bear-y than usual.....

Who was your favourite actor in number seven (Home, I'm Darling)?
Future Dame Katherine Parkinson obviously.

What was your favourite bit in number eight (Translations)?
Oh come on, if you know the play, you KNOW which scene is my favourite.

Would you see number nine (Dreamgirls) again?
Hypothetically yes, but realistically nah. It was great, especially Asmeret Ghebremichael, but I don't really have a bunch of spare time between now and January.

What was the worst thing about number ten (Allelujah!)?
Oh, it was just a bit... aimless? Entertaining enough and clearly has a long amdram life ahead of it but ultimately came across more as polemic than play.

Which was best?
Oh, Pericles, 100%!

Which was worst?

Did any make you cry?
Lots of joyful sobbing in Pericles, the useful amount of woeful weeping in The Winter's Tale.

Did any make you laugh?
Pericles did, I'm not sure about the others. Clearly not that memorably if they did!

Which roles would you like to play in any of them?
Always always always Paulina. I don't want to play Judy in Home, I'm Darling so much as I just want her frocks.

Which one did you have best seats for?
Dreamgirls, probably. It was possible to be too close for Pericles, and my closeness came at the cost of visibility for Home, I'm Darling and Allelujah!.

No comments:

Post a Comment